Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Wanted: Beetle Petrol Tank & Steering Column

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
Guys as above I need a petrol tank for the buggy. Does anyone have one lying around that they are not using. Later one would be best but either is workable.

Other thing I need is a steering column, again i would prefer a late one with wipers and indicators on the column.

Thanks

George

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I'm sure I have a steering column or two here, I'll root them out and see what I have. I don't think there's a tank here though, I'll check...

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
thanks trev

have you ever tried making a tank, i was reading about the tweaking that is required with a standard petrol tank and I'm half tempted to make one that fits. You have done a bit of fabrication before, besides being fully sealed any reason why i should stay well away from this!

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
true!! the sun is coming in the window here at work and I'm very tempted to take another early day to work on the buggy. I have gotten more done in the last 2 weeks than the previous 3 months. the sun has been a good incentive. I still have the t2 hanging around that needs a little TLC so its about finding a balance.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
if you're making one from scratch then go for it, just make sure your welds are good and you seal it inside with fibreglass resin. The corners will be the weak points in terms of fluid pressure so make double sure its well sealed in the corners. Welding/modifying an original tank can be dangerous. Petrol fumes can last for years I'm told.

I've looked and I don't have a tank. I haven't looked for the column yet...

buggyboyshane

Club Member
Club Member
November 5, 2007
up north :)
your better just getting a tank george. i mucked about with a 2nd hand one, no matter what i did it stunk of petrol and was too scared to cut it up, ended up buying a new one, cutting the stub of the end and welding the hole, relocating the stub to the centre of the tank, getting a piece of flexible tubing and putting the aston style filler cap on top, you can get cheap flush fit aero style ones, or best, and easiest option, is do like the old style, use an early tank, cut the hole in the bonnet for the filler, a wee bit of edging for the hole and far bloody earier to do.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
amongst the various bits of steering columns I have, there is a complete '71 column with single stalk. It's for the indicators, the wiper switch was in the dash in '71. It's all there bar the steering wheel but you're hardly using a beetle steering wheel anyway, are you? It's the "big spline" so when looking for a nice wheel for yourself, you'll need to get the correct boss to suit.

A bonus is that it comes with a key that works in the ignition switch!!

€40, you know where I am :)

Attachments

• 2009-04-24 steering column (Medium).jpg
    2009-04-24 steering column (Medium).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 81

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I'll see if I have the makings of one from the spare parts I have. I'll get back to you...

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
trev - i have a 1303 column here with both switches on it, do you know if i would be able to transfer the switch mechanism onto that column

you can buy indicators switches but i can't find the wiper ones anywhere, I also need a wiper switch for the 72 blue beetle i have

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I don't think so, the black painted "shroud" that covers the switch assembly is different from one-switch models to two-switch models. However, I could probably make you up a full two-switch column from your 1303 one and the pile of spares I have here for torsion bar beetle steering columns.

I probably have a spare wiper switch for your '72 too...

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
right i need to pay you a visit - time is the only problem now - this weekend is out but i might try some evening this week, maybe thursday if that suits