Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Wanted - beetle, metal dash fog light switch (1974)

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
do you have a picture or a part number? Not many beetles in Ireland would have had fog lights as standard.

Bugboy

Club Member
Club Member
Hi Trevor,
I don't have pic or part number, and your quite right. My car originally didn't have either.
got my hands on a rear lense with fog light section instead of reverse light, slight mod to the loom, couple of relays and with a two position pull switch and it'll make a better job than fitting a toggle or rocker switch that doesn't quite look right.
Brendan has done something similar and managed to get a switch from Monika Helling, just waiting on her and a few others coming back to see what I can get my hands on. Going to have a look for his accessories post to 'Nick a pic' in a moment.

Bugboy

Club Member
Club Member
No Title

Brendan, hope you don't mind me copying your dash pic, it's just to show the switch I am
imagejpeg

Attachments

• photo27687.jpg
    photo27687.jpg
    979 bytes · Views: 97
  • attach391169.jpg
    attach391169.jpg
    979 bytes · Views: 98
Last edited:

Bugboy

Club Member
Club Member
Thanks Coxy, the one in the kit is exactly what I am after, two positions, first for front then back fog lights.
the light kit looks class and would go well on the front of my car.......but I don't think I can get 'er to agree.
Tho I could do with spending more time on Sambas classifieds, couple of other things be finding a home soon.

Brendan, that would be great if you could.

i will soon be posting my leftovers or mind change things bugpack, tmi and empi chrome bits as well as surplus tail lenses, metal etc . Hope to get pics on this weekend (and free up some cash).
or in short I am eventually nearly finished all the big stuff now on to the tidy and tart up. (Still have an engine rebuild to do over the next couple months) and then broom broom. Though it'll never really be finished.

Bugboy

Club Member
Club Member
Thanks Brendan.
Until I get my hands on the real thing I have a sort of plan using a headlight switch and relay then swap when one appears, never thought they'd be so scarce. I thought fog lights where mandatory from about the 70's.

Trying to justify to myself the money for the complete front set on Samba that Coxy sent the link, wife says get the stuff I have collected and don't intend using up for sale as she not going without a holiday).

Last edited:

Bugboy

Club Member
Club Member
Been looking at the Bosch ones but they don't have the same appearance (my wants exceed my budget)
short term plan will be a headlight switch with the cap changed to the orange/brown fog light switch type (from germanjunkies).
(typically one sold on eBay last weekend for a sensible price).

Head light switch give sort of correct switch operation (2 positions = off, on, on operation).
Common the supplies and link back to original headlight power out from orig switch.
2 relays req, one for front and one for rear switched from the switches 2 outputs.
Works in my head, just to try it on the bench before attacking the car.
image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited: