Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Vw 1977 pick up single cab barn find

NSU Quickly

August 5, 2019
Hi, I have recently acquired this VW Pick Up 1977 Single Cab. It is still in the shed where it has resided for 27 years . I would appreciate any comments on the photos. I managed to take a couple of photos underneath and i am interested in yer thoughts on what lies ahead of me.
the internal cab seems good and hopefully i will not have to replace anything.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 8

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
First thought is jealousy. I missed out on one just like it a few years ago.
If I were you I'd only do mechanicals and leave the body as it is.
Like most commercial vehicles in the 70's/80's it probably had a hard life but it looks all together from those pics.
Good luck with it!

NSU Quickly

August 5, 2019
Pulled her out of shed this evening. It doesnt look as bad as i thought . Mechanic is going to try and start engine for me , put on some tyres and fix brakes and make sure steering is good. will see then how much i will do with it. Engine or something leaking oil towards the rear.
I am a member of the NSU Club Ireland and have a lot of NSU Quickly's and will use the pick up to take them to shows.
I will need to get a canvas done like the original type. Does anyone know anyone in Ireland that might do such a thing?.
Is there any diagram anywhere of the dimensions to ensure it is reasonably like the original?.
Anyone with secondhand parts ? Hub caps ,tail lights , maybe wheels , not sure how good or bad they are.

Reactions: Coxy

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Donal Dollery in Limerick has a single cab pickup with the top hoops and canvas. You could ask him about how it was bought or made.

NSU Quickly

August 5, 2019
Hi,
The VW has three refurbed wheels and new tyres . The fourth tomorrow.
Tried starting it today with a new battery , new fuel but no joy. Everytime i turned the key the two wheels with the fan belt moved one notch . Nothing more than one notch every time. I presume it means the pistons are tight but not seized. Any ideas ?.
The mechanic has left me down so will have to try and get someone new.
Think i might have to get a tow truck to take it to a new garage guy.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
try to turn the crank with a spanner on the bottom pulley. Be gentle though, if a valve is stuck open you could bend it. Once you know it's turning two full rotations without any tight spots then you should check the oil level, top it up if necessary, pour a teaspoonful of fuel down the carb and try cranking again with the battery. It'll only fire if you have fuel, spark and compression and any engine that's been sitting for years should, by rights, be given a thorough checking over to make sure all the ignition components are present and working, that you're getting fresh fuel to the carb and that it's got compression. Simply trying to start a dormant engine by cranking on the starter motor and hoping for the best could actually cause damage unnecessarily.

Reactions: Joe

NSU Quickly

August 5, 2019
Ok thanks for that . It's still sitting in field with four newly refurbished wheels awaiting collection. Possibly monday now.

NSU Quickly

August 5, 2019
The VW was picked up today so now the hard work begins. Instead of taking to garage , I have decided to do all the work myself. I am going to remove engine and clean it and strip if necessary. Also will do all the engine bay first before re-installing.

Attachments

• IMG_20190827_114114110_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190827_114114110_HDR.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190827_114103489_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190827_114103489_HDR.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 4