Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] t2 speedo fuel guage cluster

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
wanted a speedo fuel guage cluster for a late bay, my fuel guage shot so need to replace .

contact john 087-2246059

riggsi

Club Member
Club Member
June 12, 2008
Meath
Are you sure it's the gauge?
Have you tested the sender and the whatya call it on the back of the gauge?
I might have a spare set of clocks,will have a look in the morning.

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
I am still looking for a fuel guage, i changed the sender still getting hit and miss readings if anyone has one contact me.

087-2246059

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Did you check the wiring? Replacing the sender is usually last on the list, no?

alanfitz

Club Member
Club Member
July 26, 2011
Naas
I have a spare clock, not sure whether it is working or not but you are more than welcome to give it a try

viperdown

Club Member
Club Member
April 15, 2012
enniskillen
i have a `76 bay with what i think is the same porblem. when its full, it reads full but when it gets to about 3/4 full ..... it falls to empty!
bloody nightmare to be honest but "my man what does" says it is the sender. does the floor not need to come up for this to get to the tank??

viper

EvilMonkley

Club Member
Club Member
June 19, 2010
Geneva
when its full, it reads full but when it gets to about 3/4 full ..... it falls to empty!
I've the same problem in my 77 bay. It used to be better but has got worse recently. I just make sure and fill every 180K now. And always keep a can of petrol in the van :D

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
Re guage

Re guage

i fiited a new loom and fitted a new guage when i manually move the float to full the guage readfs full but as i lower it the reading fall and at half way it vanishes off the guage.
so my conclusion is the guage as all else is new

viperdown

Club Member
Club Member
April 15, 2012
enniskillen
yeah, mine is pretty much the same but i cant get to it manually. mine is a hire vehicle and a bit of a nightmare telling customers to fill every day or 2 but hey, to be expected and to be honest, i think they enjoy that a little ................ well, maybe!!

viper

November 30, 2011
Enniskillen
i fiited a new loom and fitted a new guage when i manually move the float to full the guage readfs full but as i lower it the reading fall and at half way it vanishes off the guage.
so my conclusion is the guage as all else is new
It is possible that the gauge is the fault, but unlikely. Test the sender with a mutimeter on the resistance setting, as you raise the float in a steady and slow movement, the reading should change on the meter in the same steady movement, if not this is the fault, usually a gauge either works or doesn't there is really no inbetween apart from a smooth but inacurate reading eg. too high or too low. Also earth the gauge wire at the sender end and gauge should go up full, and wriggle all wiring to check for a broken wire or bad connection.

riggsi

Club Member
Club Member
June 12, 2008
Meath
when You fit a new sender you need to bend the tabs on each side so that when the needle reaches the top of the float doesnt raise any further and the same with needle at the bottom.if this isnt set up propperly the gague wont work properly.

it could just be a dodgy sender though,I fitted a new one last summer and took it out 3 weeks later when the needle started jumping all over the place and the contacts had come loose so I had to bin it and fit another new one.

@viperdown

This was a rental too and I had resorted to telling customers the same thing but if you just take out sender and fiddle with it a bit you can get the reading bang on.Gives you one less thing to have to explain when someone is picking up a bus.

jdman

Club Member
Club Member
August 21, 2011
naas
i checked the voltage coming out of the sender when it is full the guage is full but when i move the sender to half im getting 5.9v but the guage is reading empty so i figure its the guage