Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] Steel wheels - 16" 5 x 205 Wide 5

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Looking for a set of 16" Wide 5 wheels (5 x 205 pcd), width/tyres/condition not important.

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
:p

I'd like a set for the '55 356. It was originally specced for 16" wheels and they fill the arches better than a 15" but at over €3-4K for an oem set I'll sacrifice the need for originality a bit :D

Were splittys shipped with a 16" wheel at some stage in their life?

Rocky

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2008
North Wexford
Yep, early Barndoor buses had 16''

I know where there are two 16'' wheels, last time i enquired the guy said he was holding onto them for a trailer he was building, might try him again for ya.

Think Kubelwagen had 16'' also.

Last edited:

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Yep, early Barndoor buses had 16''

I know where there are two 16'' wheels, last time i enquired the guy said he was holding onto them for a trailer he was building, might try him again for ya.

Definitely, please do, if he's stuck for 2 wheels I can easily get another set to do the job for him!

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
I'll ask today at Roscos place he may have some or know of some. My other local buddy Tony the Hat is into Barndoor Buses (remember the SC with all of the engine blocks in the bed?) may have a few leads.

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
I'll ask today at Roscos place he may have some or know of some. My other local buddy Tony the Hat is into Barndoor Buses (remember the SC with all of the engine blocks in the bed?) may have a few leads.

Cool, that'd be great. It'd be a bonus to buy something off a guy called Tony the Hat too :D

Rocky

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2008
North Wexford
Definitely, please do, if he's stuck for 2 wheels I can easily get another set to do the job for him!

Update .... he has decided to go twin axel, he said he'd take four genuine Porsche Fuchs in exchange for the two steels. If you want the tyres he said that would be extra.

P.S ... he has asked me to manage this transaction for him .... Pete is on his way over to you now to collect the fuchs, thank you:D

G

split bugs came with 16`s too up till 52 i think, should be loads of them around ;)

jimmy the bollix duffy should/does have a load of them, best of luck trying to get him to part with any though

all the 16 inch rims are 3 or 3.5 inches wide iirc, there are new 17 inch smoothies available if they`d suit your needs

Last edited:

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Update .... he has decided to go twin axel, he said he'd take four genuine Porsche Fuchs in exchange for the two steels. If you want the tyres he said that would be extra.

P.S ... he has asked me to manage this transaction for him .... Pete is on his way over to you now to collect the fuchs, thank you:D

Cheers Michael, that's sound...! :p

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
split bugs came with 16`s too up till 52 i think, should be loads of them around ;)

jimmy the bollix duffy should/does have a load of them, best of luck trying to get him to part with any though

all the 16 inch rims are 3 or 3.5 inches wide iirc, there are new 17 inch smoothies available if they`d suit your needs

Tony the Hat, Jimmy the Bollix, Rocky the Chancer - it's like an episode of The Sopranos around here... :D

Thanks Barry, figured there might be a few more options alright but also figured they'd be pretty hard to lay my hands on...might be easier to throw a set of Fuchs on it...

411 guy

March 14, 2007
co clare
i have a set (4)of 16" rims (no tyres) ,2 from an early van they had them up till '55 and 2 from Porsche tractor, I might sell, if you like ? would they not be very narrow for the 356,?

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
i have a set (4)of 16" rims (no tyres) ,2 from an early van they had them up till '55 and 2 from Porsche tractor, I might sell, if you like ? would they not be very narrow for the 356,?

Pm on a price John if you get a chance. The originals were 3.25" wide so pretty narrow alright, but they do complete the look ;)

411 guy

March 14, 2007
co clare
DSC_0364.jpgDSC_0368.jpg
sorry if I've wasted your time but I just realised they're a bad set as they seem to be different widths, 2 measure 90mm and 1 measures 85mm and the other 80mm across where the tyre touches the rim, 3 have the welded centre ,the other is riveted. and 1 never had the clips for a hubcap, and the other 3's clips are broken. other than that they are very straight and rot free. I do remember seeing an article saying that NOS ones were fetching 1000 dollars a piece in the late '90's, i'll never forget the shock, however I don't know the value of what I've got.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Gone now. For future reference, you just need to click on Edit Post > Manage attachments and remove the offending item.