Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] Steel wheels - 16" 5 x 205 Wide 5

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
A grand apiece? Holy sheet!

I Had a brief encounter with a single crusty barn door bus wheel thati happened across within a joblot of rusty scrap. Obviously I had no use for it whatsoever so when the occasion arose, let it off to a member here in another bit of tangling.

that I know it was so valuable, I'll send on the bill for the balance, loadsabuses. :ROFLMAO:

loadsabuses

Club Member
Club Member
May 8, 2009
kerry
A grand apiece? Holy sheet!

I Had a brief encounter with a single crusty barn door bus wheel thati happened across within a joblot of rusty scrap. Obviously I had no use for it whatsoever so when the occasion arose, let it off to a member here in another bit of tangling.

that I know it was so valuable, I'll send on the bill for the balance, loadsabuses. :ROFLMAO:

LOL rusty and crusty 16 inch rims cost even more trev you pay extra for the patina .

not meaning to burst any bubbles but they where selling good used 16 inch wheels at the swapmeet in Hessich for 200 euro each
and rough rusty ones from 50 euros (although i did only see 1 wheel for 50 euros ) a good set of sand blasted and primerd wheels where on offer for 1500 euros (they were cog logo Kuble wheels )

oldspeedvws

Club Member
Club Member
January 22, 2007
Carrigaline, Co Cork
www.oldspeedvws.com
Been working for a while to replace the tyres on my split beetle and get the wheels restored. I got my set of 4 blasted and "powder"primered for €120, 2K paint (incl. shipping) for €80, getting them painted (labour) €120, VW chrome hubcaps €65 each, innertubes €65 for 4, clasic valve caps €4 each, 16 inch classic tires (whitewalls) €200 each (okay got them cheaper from Lenny but any new classic 16 inch tire will set you back 100+ anyway). That means restoring a set of wheels fully and replacing the tires to age correct ones adds up to nearly €1500 or if you have no cores add 4x €200 to make it well over 2 grand... AUCH

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
I have a spare barndoor rim (16 x 3.5J) I would swap for a split window one...

split beetle 16 x 3J
porsche 356 16 x 3.25J
barndoor 16 x 3.5J

Cheers Johan, definitive info there.

I'm already starting to wean myself off this idea, don't think I'm a standard wheel type, especially at 3.25" wide :blink:

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Been working for a while to replace the tyres on my split beetle and get the wheels restored. I got my set of 4 blasted and "powder"primered for €120, 2K paint (incl. shipping) for €80, getting them painted (labour) €120, VW chrome hubcaps €65 each, innertubes €65 for 4, clasic valve caps €4 each, 16 inch classic tires (whitewalls) €200 each (okay got them cheaper from Lenny but any new classic 16 inch tire will set you back 100+ anyway). That means restoring a set of wheels fully and replacing the tires to age correct ones adds up to nearly €1500 or if you have no cores add 4x €200 to make it well over 2 grand... AUCH

:blink:

you can see now why the resto cal look is popular, those early fuchs are probably cheaper to fit :canada: