Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Starter motor

keithincork

Club Member
Club Member
September 12, 2009
Just Chilling
Would anyone in the Cork are have a spare starter motor that is surplus to requirements, took the beetle out for a spin yesterday parked up and on return it wouldn't turn over, push started it to get me home, tried again still nothing so I took battery out and put on charge overnight, still the same click the following morning , so i swapped the battery from the bus again no joy, tried the screw driver trick and the motor sounded like it was spinning but no engagement, ill strip it tomorrow clean and grease it up. But if someone has a good one for sale I'll take it off them, otherwise I'll order one on line.
Cheers.

keithincork

Club Member
Club Member
September 12, 2009
Just Chilling
No Title

I did indeed and it produced nowt,

I pulled the starter out and bench tested it, no life at all, I stripped it down, it was full of grud, not a lot of life left in the brushes to be honest, I opened up the small receptacle which guides the brushes to allow the retaining spring to push them down a little further, so cleaned and regreased everything, bench tested again after reassembly and all good, reinstalled and it fired into life so all I'd right in the world. See how long it lasts lol.

Attachments

• photo22832.jpg
    photo22832.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 80
  • photo22833.jpg
    photo22833.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 80
  • photo22834.jpg
    photo22834.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 76

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Good stuff Keith. Nothing like that feeling of taking apart something and fixing it.

I get half of that right.

Reactions: Coxy

keithincork

Club Member
Club Member
September 12, 2009
Just Chilling
No Title

Your dead right Kev, great satisfaction when you manage to fix the issue yourself, had both the wagons out and about today, two totally different machines but smiling from ear to ear lol.

Attachments

• photo22836.jpg
    photo22836.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 75
  • photo22837.jpg
    photo22837.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 77
  • photo22838.jpg
    photo22838.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 75