Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Car] please ! i get sea sick :)

badmarx

August 11, 2009
ireland
ok before i foot it to the uk. anyone out there got an oval shell or any year shell with the smaller windows? one that i can turn into an oval. having worked out a rough cost and time frame, id rather get another shell to work on, rather than do the one i have. getting the look i truely want. shell of any kind and condition considered ( except like new examples);) for all that is holy, there must be one out there someplace. too proud of my rolling pan now not to get the car i want. thanks

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
I'd say alot of people wil try talk you out of this. A small window beetle is unique and appreciated as it is. In my opinion either buy an oval or if you're dead set on putting in an oval section, do it to a 70's bug and do a full custom.
Just my 2c

badmarx

August 11, 2009
ireland
ha i knew ya would say that and im sure many others will too. yeah waiting for the pitchforks and torches outside the window, i would do the whole car if i could only get a good reasonably priced project. but to be honest people think rust is worth the same as gold. sick shit of listening to the wankers with a car (that let it rot in the first place) tell me its worth more than the price they paid ten years ago simply because its older, oblivious to the fact its almost dead and worth a bad take away. now before i come across as cheap im not, but im just not willing to pay good money for crap. but in this country when things were good shit had a price and now things are bad shit is been sold for twice as much. not just the actual shell sorry for not been clear. id do it all. gonna finish the bug i have too but gonna go all out custom.

badmarx

August 11, 2009
ireland
but folks are right lets keep all the rusting shells rusting and let them die rather than sell them to those of us trying to save a few :) the soil needs more iron

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
You're dead right. We all know of beetles/vans just rusting away with the owners not letting them go. Don't get me wrong, I love ANY custom (williams bros split is one of my favourite in the scene at the moment), I just don't like to see solid cars cut up.

P.S. My own bug has been made look younger.

badmarx

August 11, 2009
ireland
couldnt agree more. and there are thousands of examples of good cars. i just want to make my own. its like im doing the car an injustice while those letting them rot are the true bug lovers. please tell me this website isnt like that. thats too irish for me. as i said not looking for a solid car but lets not make out that the beetle is rare either. they did sell a few. im just looking for a savable example of a mass produced car to make me smile on a sunday morning, and save a bit of history. not a one of a kind sculpture t put in my fish pond.

yep Williams bros is the stuff i love it. actually thought the steam punk thing was gonna be my idea. little did i know others had more developed plans.

another thing. how come its ok for ye to say i should cut up a 70s bug. but its not ok t use an early shell in any way other than stock. also my plan does no damage to either. and both will be done so they can be changed back to standard if the mood strikes me later. as a design student and also working in psychiatry i am shocked that some people only see the original models as something special in the life of the worlds favourate car. and lets not forget its the later model that the world fell in love with. so the people have spoken and they love the standard bug not the oval. for the people ( the peoples car) it was too slow and ya couldnt see shit out the windows. but for losers like us it looks great in a photo or parked at a show :) wont someone just sell me one.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
FWIW this was chopped up for parts on the Williams' car. :D

IMG_1316.jpg

Not sure what my point is, or if there even is one.. hmmm, if you want to make an omelette you gotta break some eggs? :p

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
Ballytoooooole .............
Man buy what u want and do what u want with it

See the lovely split bus KNK just bought.. Do you think he's gonna worry about cutting anything he wants out or putting in a water cooled engine he'll probally put funny wheels on it also

I get alot of stick from people about my Oval and why i won't paint it
only last week i did paint the oval. . . . . .. but thats for a different thread

Sometime I plan on chopping the roof on a beetle probally put an oval or split window in in the process

matara

Club Member
Club Member
May 17, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Good 58-64 beetles are 2 a penny over here in Oz, and in the US no doubt. Actually in Oz they had small windowed bugs until 1967, so go ahead and make what you want, unless its a totally museum worthy low mileage car that is.

Let me know if you'd be on the lookout for an Oval rear window cut, and dash cut, as I'm sure I can locate these over here pretty easily.

Cheers

Steve
Sydney, Australia

sigpicx600.jpg

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
How many beetle were made again?

Its not as if they are on the verge of extinction! :ROFLMAO:

Some inspiration to help you on your way...the Chop way! ;)

Step 1:
Aquire decent rust free body
body5.jpg

Step 2 - Make a few cuts
body16.jpg

Step 3 - Aquire the necessary extra parts
0feedadd.jpg

Step 4 - Figure out where to put them
body34.jpg

Step 5 - Dump that old BIG window
body35.jpg

Step 6 - Add in new window
body40.jpg

Step 7 - Plus altered rear end
rearlights4.jpg

Step 8 - Job is OXO...:)
body108.jpg

@ Deckie - What do you mean FUNNY wheels? :)

Last edited:

badmarx

August 11, 2009
ireland
yep thats [SIZE=-1]it lad!! [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]its exactly what [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i want, an rag top oval roof [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]includ[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ing the w[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ndows. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]if [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i cant get a full shell for sane money.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i know [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]im pat[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ient enough to get [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]t r[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ight. at the end of the day ts the beauty of metal ya can always do [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]it aga[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]in![/SIZE][SIZE=-1] but where do ye f[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]nd the sect[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ons? [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]its a pr[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ick been new to th[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]is [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i dono where to even start to f[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ind a sect[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ion l[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ke the one [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]n your p[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ics. and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i really wanna get work[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]i[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ng on the shell now that the pan and gear box are all back together and roll[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ing.[/SIZE]

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
I recognise that roof section ;)

will ya ever just go and finish that project John, dying to see it finished :p