Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

October 27th 2007 :: Eircooled Trip to Wolfsburg

Claire

October 24, 2006
Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo
I'll get a cheque then so for €600 for Tom and his better half :wink: - then we can forget about it and look forward to it :)

Names on Passports:

Claire Roberts
Thomas Roberts

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
There is a few quid winging it's way towards the bank account as we speak - people can just email me their names and details next week

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
Close to final call on this one - can you PM me if you have already paid and let me know.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
Definite final call today. We have 12 people paid so far...

Claire Roberts
Tom Roberts
Phil Buckley
Helen Buckley
Ruairi Browne
Edel Browne
Eamonn Winters
Dave de Beuckeleer
Hugh Sheridan
Ann Sheridan
Julie Sheridan

... so price is confirmed at €300pps. We need €200 deposit today if you wish to join us. Last call!!

Claire

October 24, 2006
Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo
@ Ruairi.........Is it fair to say that folk can still look to go with us on this trip but we would have to find a new best price?

There are 11 booked to go now.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
Claire said:
@ Ruairi.........Is it fair to say that folk can still look to go with us on this trip but we would have to find a new best price?

There are 11 booked to go now.

Yeah - if anyone wants to go they can pay the travel agent direct now. PM me for details.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
I'll post out a little info pack on this in the next couple of days. I'm going to contact the travel agents today to get the tickets etc.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
I'm going out in Galway the Friday night for a friends leaving for Oz party and have to be in Dublin airport at 5am. So me thinks I will be leave the nightclub at 2am and drive direct to the airport :cry:

2cv

Nice one MadMax :) I'm taking the sensible option and driving to Dublin on the Friday evening after work. I'll stay over with friends in the big smoke :)

Claire

October 24, 2006
Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo
Has everyone got their tickets yet? :)

We got ours during the week - cheers Shuggie!!!

Looking for ward to the trip - never been to Germany before - and I only know bitte and danke in the language :oops: :lol:

We will take lots of pics for everyone 8)

2cv

Yup, got the tickets... Thanks Shuggie.

Does anyone know if the airline tickets include the luggage? Or do we have to pay separately for that at check in?

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
Good auld weekend in the end. Berlin is a strange kind of city - the people live up to their stereotype with a gusto - they nearly all wear black uniforms and walk around barking orders at people. I think the craziest example was when a uniformed dude came over to me in the railway station and told me I couldn't smoke "there", but if I moved 10 foot to the left and smoked inside the 10 foot square yellow box they had painted on the platform I could continue. Bizarre. Also when you order a 3 scoop ice-cream it is "not permitted" to get three different flavours in one bowl. As a matter of fact lots of things are simply "not permitted". My uncle was minding his own business in the airport looking at signs for buses when a uniformed lady came over to him and asked him what he was looking for. He told her the 66A or whetever and she pointed and said "over there". He said "grand" and went on with his looking around. She said "I don't think you are listening to me sir - your bus departs from over there". He still didn't go anyways. Then we were in the Autostadt and one of the Beetles had the engine lid open. We were peering in and a uniformed lady came over and told us we shouldn't have opened the bonnet. We said we didn't and she said it again in a really 'Allo 'Allo type German accent. We said we didn't again and she said "Yeah sure" and stormed off. They are mad.

Wolfsburg was class - the VW Automuseum contained about 100 fairly decent VWs including a 1936 convertible which was blatantly Hitlers but they denied it. They also had the last Beetle ever made, a hot air ballon with a Beetle as a basket, a floating Beetle, a flying Beetle, a wooden Beetle, lots of nice vans including a 4*4 bay window, and loads of Type 3/4s and Golfs etc. The Autostadt then had the first Beetle ever made in Ireland (which we need to investigate as Sheehy motors in Naas recently displayed the first Beetle made in Ireland also and it was not the same car!!), an electric bay window, lots of Porsches, Citroens, etc. It also had some fairly cool non car related stuff.

Food and drink in Berlin is unsurprisingly half the price of Ireland and we had a couple of good nights out. Of course don't ask for chips instead of a potato as it is "not permitted", but apart from that the food is great and the service although not with a smile is fast and efficient. We did a bus tour of the city also and the history etc is fantastic. They sure know how to do a memorial - this is their WW2 memorial....

church_bombed.jpg

this is their holocaust memorial....

berlinmemorial.jpg

and this is their memorial to the wall....

9355.jpg

Travelwise everything went almost perfect apart from Eamonn's passport being out of date and his alternative flight the next day landing 400 miles from Berlin due to fog!! And of course when we got back to the airport on Monday Aer Lingus had never heard of us, but we got sorted eventually.

Good weekend. I'd recommend Wolfsburg to any VW fan.