Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

my transmission failure

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
pulled the box apart this morning , and found the spider gears in the diff in pieces and I bit has pushed a hole into the cover plate , the rest of the transmission looks ok.

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
here's what's been done to the transmission .

sent it over the water to john walklett in stoke on trent

weddle.jpg

new weddle close ratio gear set , chrome molly main shaft and 3.88 pinion.

jig trans.jpg

selectors being set up in jig.

quaife.jpg

new Quaife ATB limited slip differential

will be fitting van output flanges and cv joints so the weak spot will be the 1303 cv joints and shafts at the hubs.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
will be fitting van output flanges and cv joints so the weak spot will be the 1303 cv joints and shafts at the hubs.

looks great Dave, that should keep you going for a good while! Would you switch the outer shafts for Porsche 944 ones to use the bigger CVs or are you deliberately trying to keep a "weak point" as a failsafe to protect the transmission itself?

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
looks great Dave, that should keep you going for a good while! Would you switch the outer shafts for Porsche 944 ones to use the bigger CVs or are you deliberately trying to keep a "weak point" as a failsafe to protect the transmission itself?

when we selected the quaife you have to specify output splines , the choice beetle or van , so I went for the van being stronger .
I may put van cv joints on the hub end but need to sort out what parts are needed to do so.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
that's what I meant by outer shafts i.e. the hub ends. Deckie is selling the 924 rear end at the moment, I wonder if it has 944/bus sized CVs?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
here's a quote from the internet so it must be true:

The Porsche 924 and early 944 (pre-'86) use the same size CV joints as the VW T2, T25 and T4. The driveshafts from a Porsche 924/944 are the correct length for this conversion. This is a bolt on affair and a worth while upgrade for those of you running IRS setups with more than a stock motor.