Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Motorsports videos/pictures.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
grassroots (literally!) racing back in '80s Ireland. I wonder how many hundreds of beetles met their end in this way?

4ejA4lXl.jpg

G

grassroots (literally!) racing back in '80s Ireland. I wonder how many hundreds of beetles met their end in this way?
4ejA4lXl.jpg

this didn`t stop in the 80`s , i know of 2 beetle based projects being built in wexford, one of them belongs to an ex leinster champion

30 years on and the mighty beetle is still the one to catch (very little of the bugs left tbh, think it`s just the chassis spine and the rear frame horns used ;) )

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway

i remember being at a few of these with the auld lad and brothers back in the 80's-fekin mayhem,with cars taking each other all over the place.through ditches,into drains,and a few narrow escapes with trees.they used to a a 'demolition derby' type race at the end of the day iirc-the last car still moving being the winner.i remember a red beetle(with rover V8 engine,i'm fairly sure)winning one of the last one's i saw,after it had rolled over earlier in the race.i think it was in Co.Roscommon somewhere.nuts..

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
i posted that video after watching only the first 3 or 4 minutes-sorry if has offended anyone...
came back to click the dislike button myself after watching it all.
shocked to see that it looks like the 2000s in Denmark mabey,and solid Beetles get treated like that...
Beetles must be very cheap there?

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Daves had a cheeky run on the dyno today.

On a separate note, how cool is the dyno graph now projected onto the wall :D

darren

Club Member
Club Member
January 21, 2007
Kildare
That 1.0L Imp engine was built by Flashes uncle. He holds lap record in mondello for fastest imp. I think he raced his old car last year at a classic meet...

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
check the dude on the rights reaction as dave hits the launch control, 43 secs in. LOL