Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

lawlors Customs race car .......... will it ever get to the races?!?

buggyboyshane

Club Member
Club Member
November 5, 2007
up north :)
Bought this from a guy who had started a race car project, he had single skinned it and started a roof chop. He gave up mid way through, leaving me with a lot of pieces of metal with the odd spot weld to hold together and lots and lots of welding and alignment to do. it was a 2 1/2 inch chop but I took another bit out, the roof is one piece, English wheeled and again only offered into position so needs sorted.

Well here it is........... the result of weeks of every spare minute welding and only to this stage. Its now on the lift again after a spell in the stable :) ......... I need lots of motivation and luck to get this finished so please help!! between school, new family, and loads of customer stuff....... a time machine or cloning gun would come in handy.

Britt has sponsored a power plant, so I have to build a light straight car that can go in a straight line.

I bought a flip front and have started a flip front conversion, and now its got a pan, an IRS chassis with fubarred pans. So when I get the body done, then the chassis needs sorted, and converted to RHD, and braked up etc.

I had visions of having this on a line with funky paint etc, but at this point Ill be happy if its on the line.photo 1.jpgphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
2 days will sort that bigboy, just get the disguisopon out.

Spink

Club Member
Club Member
September 19, 2010
Lisburn
Nice one Shane. I know the feeling balancing work, family and vw's. It's a fine balance. Good luck with the build!

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
You might as well clearance the rear frame horns for the Bus inner CV joints on the trans while you are welding. Just cut out 1/2 moon slice under the CVs and flip it and weld it back in. Should take about an hour. Oh, and make the whole ass end removable, I don't want to be messen with carb windows to adjust anything.

Last edited:

Spink

Club Member
Club Member
September 19, 2010
Lisburn
So much for a secret build and big unveil. Now you have to pull your finger out.

We all think of that. :p Sticking up some photos adds pressure and helps progress. Or if your side kick is a way ahead of you that helps too. :)

Spink

Club Member
Club Member
September 19, 2010
Lisburn
How much of a roof chop did you take it too from were it was before? It gets complicated if more than 3", careful! :D

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Wow that's a cool project, it reminds me of our car last year apart from the roof. It was in a similar state an we got it done (ish) in pretty much 2 weeks. Forget about the funky paint job, build it, dial it, an when your happy that everything is right an race proven, then paint it over the off season. I've still loads to do on ours but it is going to have to wait till next year. I need engines etc first an my aim is for a track day/rally car that can be dragged.

Good luck, you've plenty of time.

buggyboyshane

Club Member
Club Member
November 5, 2007
Cheers tsar, yeah loved your build! I've got my painter in on action! He's doing me a show quality paint job in exchange for me supplying a donor rolling bug so that he can stick his 340bhp Mazda rotary in 8) he's turned from the jap side ( ish ) 8)

buggyboyshane

Club Member
Club Member
November 5, 2007
Wee update, pulled car in yesterday, working away at the welding, trying to get the body to a stage for some sort of prep. While thats away I can work on chassis work including rhd conversion and suspension. roof chop is fun :) trying to do it in a way that to look at from inside etc, cant see the work done There will obviously be no panel or interior work inside to hide, so want to do it right.

2014-07-02 16.25.00.jpg
quarter getting the welding finished
2014-07-02 16.29.05.jpg
buffed back
2014-07-02 16.29.08-1.jpg
2014-07-02 16.48.37.jpgwelding up front pillars after roof chop
2014-07-02 16.59.45.jpgtidying up roof so cant see any metal work/ roof chops when looking inside :)

brianm

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2010
Tipp
Nice one shane, u got this just in time garrick had agreed to start cutting off sections for me. i still managed to get a good bit of stuff off him, sound guy. Best of luck with the build!