Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Last blast of 2014, 12 oct!!!

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Well, me and wayne were chatting last night, i think he was drunk, so there we have it 40 quid a car, LAST opportunity of the year, if we can get the numbers, it'll happen.

Open drag ooo eeer, anything goes, 40 quid is cheaper than our day, a parting gift to the epic season we've had.

Cmon guys, lets do it.

let me know if you fancy it and send me your details.

PAT, i have an engine here you can borrow!!!!!

colin

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Monaghan
This looks like it will be such a laugh.

I'll not be able to make it due to work commitments and also, I have the rear of the car dismantled to raise her up a bit, see if we can give the tyres a little bit more purchase on the tarmac :)

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Well, had a few days to catch my breath after all this happened on Sunday. The event lived up to it's name, I had a complete blast and thoroughly enjoyed everything on the day. Arrived up around 10.45am on Sunday after giving the car it's first run around the block (about 1.5 miles at about 20-30mph) on Saturday which highlighted how crap it drove - very wavy, wandery and light at the front. When I arrived up I met Pancho, Liam Neale, Colin Doris, the CustomVolks crew, Tommy and of course Dave and Ben. The number of cars was reduced for Sundays meet and it meant it had a nice relaxed pace atmosphere to it all day, no major queuing and good craic all day. Weather was perfect, sun shone all day and wasn't too cold so that helped hugely.

I got seven runs in through the day, the format for myself was do a run, try and identify what things were trying to flip the car over the side fence / roof, spend 30mins-ish tweaking it and then back out again for another run to see if things had improved. Started off with a 22 sec run due to a fuel flow problem (pipe from tank to pump was almost completely collapsed and closed in) so the second run was the first I was able to drive it on a bit. I did and it scared the crap out of me :D - as the speed increased the front end started wandering all over the place and the run was just about keeping it going in a straight line. Video of that particular pass below, funny to listen to Ben's commentary towards the top end of the run :ROFLMAO:

...Colin is in the 53 Bug

Every tweak involved a change to the front end in someway, Dave adjusted the toe-in, Podsy checked tyre pressures (all four completely out) and each run chopped the time down by 2 seconds 'til I was down at 16.1. For the last run I raised the front end by about 40mm and that last run was the most stable the car was the whole day and I was able to concentrate on driving it and getting gear shifts right rather than trying to keep it off the car beside me :) ended the day on a 15.1 with plenty of jobs to do coming into the winter...original rubber gearbox mounts will be the first thing in the bin ;)

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Great spirit to the day, everyone helping out everyone else with Dave and Podsy particularly generous with their time. Everyone with helpful and constructive advice and just getting on with the job of getting their car quicker down the strip.

1888993_843478709019717_5546865966732173654_o.jpg

Brian got a good number of runs in and seems to have his burnout technique down...

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Sounds like you need one or two pairs of caster shims if raising the front helped it track straight. Then you can run it low again. Great to get some track time to shake out the niggles. You'd never address those things on a rolling Road. Also great to have plenty of expertise available on the day. You can't buy that kind of support.