Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

June 24th 2007 :: Wicklow Hills Day Out

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
1 week to go for this one. Have we enough interest out there??? If you want to go on this stick yer name in here.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
There is a map here - http://www.eircooled.com/Images/Maps/wicklow.JPG

The intention is to go clockwise. Unfortunately I can't go as Wanda just got a brand new engine and needs to be run in - not a hope in hell I'm taking her up the Sally Gap!!!!

If ye want a more gently journey you could just do the Wicklow Gap and back up the N11 - would be much more gentle. I leave that for ye to decide.

Brian - would you be on for leading the way? I'll send an email to all east coast members telling them it is on - you should get 10 cars anyway and this is a lovely drive.

Brian Raftery

Administrator
Admin
October 25, 2006
Kiltimagh Co. Mayo
No Problem Ruairi I would love to. I learned to drive in a beetle on those roads many years ago. Its a lovely route some steep climbs but not impossible. The Plaza hotel sounds like a good place to meet. Its the hotel in front of the square shopping centre right on the Tallaght by pass (N81) at 11am.

F

Fitz

Myself and Steffen will probably be out for this. That Sally Gap drive is tough... so we're not sure yet which vehicle will be taken out.

Brian Raftery

Administrator
Admin
October 25, 2006
Kiltimagh Co. Mayo
rascal1 said:
Where abouts in Tallaght is the meeting point.
Which approach to the Sally Gap is being used..

From Tallaght(Plaza Hotel) up Oldcourt Road and Kilakee Road or (Bohernabreena road) and out the Glencree Road towards Sally's Gap and on to Laragh/Glendalough for Lunch. Then over the Mountains to Valleymount and Blessington and back to the Square

rascal1

Club Member
Club Member
January 12, 2007
Marino, Dublin
That is a nice route.The steepest part of that is coming up from tallaght onto the Kilakee road. This of course the military road.Built during the time of Michael Dwyer with the idea of fast access for the British troops,to allow them to curb the enthusiasm of the rebels.
The climb from Glendalough to Turlough Hill is steep but steady and then you can freewheel all the way home.

Brian Raftery

Administrator
Admin
October 25, 2006
Kiltimagh Co. Mayo
So is everybody still on for the run tomorrow??? Don't forget you will be inside the car so don't let the weather bother you :( if its really bad we can make it a shorter run if you want. My number is 086xxxx if you need to contact me.

Last edited:

Brian Raftery

Administrator
Admin
October 25, 2006
Kiltimagh Co. Mayo
DublinMountainsrun2007.jpg

Here's a picture fronm todays run. Only two turned up so after half an hour waiting we decided not to go anywhere because the weather wasn't the best and nobdy else turned up. But when i got home i got a call to say two people where going to meet us on route one guy living on the wicklow mountains and one coming up from Arklow. Sorry about that lads if i had of known that we would have gone on the drive. Next time

F

Fitz

Yeah that was Steffen and his mate.... We probably should have let you know that we intended meeting you guys in Laragh ( quite near where we live)
Shame it was such a bad turnout...

rascal1

Club Member
Club Member
January 12, 2007
Marino, Dublin
Well,after finishing our big macs,we decided that we would go for a little spin.We ended up in Laragh and saw nobody. A wet day but any spin is a good spin..