Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] Inlet Manifold - Single Port

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Anyone heading to Terenure tomorrow that would have an Inlet Manifold for a Single Port Engine that they are willing part with?

I'll be at the show all day from about 9am till 6pm.

Cheers!

John

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
surely that's not all that's wrong with yours John? That's an easy fix with an old broken clutch cable and a hand drill. It'll clear out in no time. Or is there something more serious afoot?

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
It's blocked solid Trev...plus there are a few pin-holes in the aluminium casting. I spend about an hour trying to clean it out but it ain't happening. Now I'm going for the lazy aproach! ;)

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
as far as I can tell, on the single port manifold the casting jacket around the manifold is just a heat-sink type of arrangement and the actual tubes of the manifold, both pre-heat and fuel/air are steel. The casting can have all the holes it likes, it's just holding the two pipes close to each other and sinking heat from the pre-heat to the main pipe. The holes shouldn't affect running by drawing in air or anything.

I could be wrong though...

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Cheers Johan and Liam! I'll await your pics. :)

@Trev....you're dead right, the casting just holds the two tubes together and gives a better heat shrink. The pre-heat pipe is actually squashed to a more oval shape than round inside the aluminium casting to give a bigger surface area I believe for heat dissipation and can sometimes get kinked and crack. It is strange to get pinholes all the way through but in mine there are two which actually do go all the way through. When I was powder coating the manifold I noticed the pinholes when the powder was being cured at 200 degress. I tested the holes afterwards and they were in fact blowing air slightly. As they were in the pre-heat pipe and not the fuel/air pipe I didn't really care as it would not upset the running.

Easy option to kill two birds with the one stone is just bolt on another one! Yep I'm getting lazy in my old age. ;)

oldspeedvws

Club Member
Club Member
January 22, 2007
Carrigaline, Co Cork
www.oldspeedvws.com
Here's a picture:

- It's the top one NOS part number 111.129.701K
- Bottom one, is for reference only (111.129.701E / 36hp one)

MunsterChamp.jpg

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Unfortunately Johans NOS Manifold didn't fit my engine. :(

Can anyone direct me to a listing on the different types of Inlet Manifolds used and the part number listings?

My single port manifold is 113.129.701k...almost the same part number as Johans except the 113...bit?

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
That's SO disappointing...

Yep...so much so that I went back to my old manifold and spent another 1hr trying to unclog it. With the wire cable on the Drill I just couldn't make it past the second bend on either side. So I cut an inspection opening in the pre-heat tube close to the centre casting to try feed the wire only to find that the Pre-heat tube is completely solid of burnt carbon which won't break up! :)

From what I've learnt in the last few minutes googling, I need a single port manifold from any 1300-1600 engine. The 1200cc is not useable.

riggsi

Club Member
Club Member
June 12, 2008
Meath
I have one on the comitments bus dont know if its gummed up or not but your welcome to it if ye want to take it off.

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I had this problem on the '69, Jon White got it for me, he just needed the engine code

That's the other problem Beag...I'm not sure what the engine is because it only has the VW Recycle symbol and the letter 'B' where the engine number would normally go. I'm 99% sure it's a 1600cc engine as it certainly doesn't pull like a 1300cc.

The manifold has a carb flange I.D. of 31mm