Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Parts] Group buy on roll cages

buggyboyshane

Club Member
Club Member
November 5, 2007
up north :)
Hi guys Im trying to sort a deal with safety devices on a run of full six point bolt in roll cages. These are fully Mia approved etc. The group buy of 5 or more can offer a good discount. I know it's left very grey and fluffy there, but depending on price of course would there be interest in a full bolt in roll cage?

Id id be up for one myself so ( depending on price ). I'm getting exact details, photos, prices etc, but it will include delivery to my pad here near Newcastle co. Down. Eircooled express has a permanent stop here and I'm more than happy to hold on till suits for collection.

shane
tsar
padraig

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Are door bars and rear diagonals included?

Will the rear bars bolt to the wheel arch or will they be the bolt to the boot floor type??

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Johnny not sure where it bolts to but basically this cage is the best you can buy for a bug an it means your car would be able to go racing a Mondello etc as it's homologated an FIA approved.

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Johnny not sure where it bolts to but basically this cage is the best you can buy for a bug an it means your car would be able to go racing a Mondello etc as it's homologated an FIA approved.

No doubt its a top piece of kit being a safety devices jobbie,but I don't want a boot floor option.Its a personal choice,I prefer the traditional wheel arch bolt up jobbie..Looks meaner:)
Also I've a 1303.Will this make any difference.I bought a cage from Trev a few years ago,although I never fitted it properly it seemed to struggle with the dash on the 03..I wonder if there is a difference.Shane if you could ask them when you are chatting to them I'd be very grateful...

brianm

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2010
Tipp
No doubt its a top piece of kit being a safety devices jobbie,but I don't want a boot floor option.Its a personal choice,I prefer the traditional wheel arch bolt up jobbie..Looks meaner:)
Also I've a 1303.Will this make any difference.I bought a cage from Trev a few years ago,although I never fitted it properly it seemed to struggle with the dash on the 03..I wonder if there is a difference.Shane if you could ask them when you are chatting to them I'd be very grateful...

Hey johnny, yeah the problems fitting the cage (looks like its empi 6 point bolt) into the 03. Was first like you said its for a standard beetle not the 03 padded dash so i had to trim about an inch and half off the roof bars above door jam so it fits and doesnt destroy the dash. and once you trim this it pulls the bar thats runs vertically behind the door hindge pillar further into the door jam. so i cut just enough so it will be rubbing the dash. i rather this than really akward getting in and out everytime.

then the middle section of cage that bolts down behind the front seats - the floor pan in a standard has an extra ridge which the cage is ment to sit on, the 03 doesnt have this so there's about an inch of a gap. I replaced one floor pan with an earlier one so was no problem but on the side i saved i had to build in the ridge for the cage to sit on. I'll try add pics later if my description isnt clear

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Tthanks Brian,I sort of knew about the fixing points behind the seats,but thanks for clarifying the dash.I know with a Heigo rollcage the bars go right to the A pillar and the dash has to be removed and trimmed to fit it properly,but its a snug fit.Stick up a few pics though I'd love to see the progress on the orange bug.Best stick them up in the arena though,so we won't clog up Shanes thread..:)

drifterex

Club Member
Club Member
September 18, 2008
Waterford, Éire
Yeah, as everyone else depending on price I could be interested. Has to specifically be for a 1303 though. Not interested in modifying it to fit.

Mark.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
ooh, maybe...
depends on price. I'd need it for an oval (lower top of windscreen, '70s cage won't fit) and bolting to the rear wheel tubs, I don't have a parcel shelf to bolt it to...

buggyboyshane

Club Member
Club Member
November 5, 2007
Hi guys, their not offering as big a discount as hoped, so its only 10% turning out to be £550, instead of 610. 6point, single diagonal in rear, removeable door bars. extra bars available.

looks like im gonna try build my own. I can still help anyone if interested in the safety devices cages, but found out their approved for circuit but not drag racing. Also ghia cages have to be custom made.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
if you have a good way of bending the tubing yourself Shane and then fishmouthing the ends of the tube before welding then you'd build one for way cheaper than that. Bending the tube neatly is crucial though.

I tried one of these:

DSC01323.JPG

and I can't think of a more efficient way of kinking the tubing instead of bending it. It really is an excellent device for making scrap metal from a pile of steel tubing. I'd thoroughly recommend it if that was your goal...

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Thanks Shane,I'll declare myself out at that price.It's really the rear cage I'm after anyway as it's a mainly a roadcar with some trackdays and drags,and I couldn't be up to climbing in and around scaffolding every time I want to use the car.
I reckon I'd get one built for a lot less.

buggyboyshane

Club Member
Club Member
November 5, 2007
Thanks Shane,I'll declare myself out at that price.It's really the rear cage I'm after anyway as it's a mainly a roadcar with some trackdays and drags,and I couldn't be up to climbing in and around scaffolding every time I want to use the car.
I reckon I'd get one built for a lot less.

my idea too :)

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I waitron a number of a guyin Dubln who builds cages cheap, perhaps we could approach him with a group buy proposal, the Shane could get a Drag cage, an Johnny a rear hoop etc etc.