Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] Dynamo 6 volt (with regulator)

rolheine

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2009
Dowra Co.Leitrim
The owner of a 1952 beetle living in my wider area (and is not into computers) asked me if I could find on the Internet an affordable fully functioning original dynamo for his car because his one is not working (for a long time now) - he tries to sort it out but is not sure if he is able to do it. Because his beetle is totally original he wants to keep it like this and therefore does not want to build in an available new part, he is looking for the right original one (in the meantime he prefers to have it stored which is a pity because it's really a beauty).
Any constructive help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
It sounds like a very nice car. It'd be useful to know what problems he's having with the dynamo but assuming that he's checked the brushes and regulator and cleaned the commutator properly, it might be worth his while to polarise the dynamo. If its been left for a long time it may need to be polarised before it'll produce any output again.

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
Ballytoooooole .............
As above. Brushs and After polarising if it still shagged
Probally regulator
What would he think of the idea of a new regulator and putting his old regulator cover on it?

I know you can get the Oval regs new and there the same shape as the old. Something in me head telling his is round which may be alot tougher to get

411 guy

March 14, 2007
co clare
i think i have a suitable dynamo from 53/4, and know i have the round type regulator, but dont know there condition.i can test them if needed.
is that whats keeping the car off the road ?
if he gets these is he putting it back on the road ?

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
If he ever wants to sell it (which I'd guess is highly unlikely) then I'd be very interested

rolheine

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2009
Dowra Co.Leitrim
He said he checked the brushes and did polarise the dynamo (but some time ago - I suppose a year ago before he had it out for the St.Patricks parade, on battery) - he intends to remove it at the weekend and put it on the bench. He'll inform me what he finds (or achieves).

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
It'd be worth polarising it again. When he does that, he needs it to turn as a motor (fanbelt off, naturally) - merely sparking the terminal won't do it, regardless of what some books & websites say.