Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

drag racing this sunday 23rd march

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
ill be up at bishopscourt for the first race of the season , just me in the bug against Hondas and the like . will keep you posted as to how I get on . lost of changes to the car for this year .

removed about 80kgs in weight .
upped the power to 190bhp. (last year about 165bhp)
built gearbox with close ratio's
slick tyres.
launch control.

Kyle

Club Member
Club Member
July 1, 2012
Wicklow
Best of luck on the weekend! I hope you wipe the smiles off some of those honda owners...

Cant wait to see what times you manage with all the improvements, what are you hoping for?

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
nice one, what format does the launch control take?

when the line lock is applied locking up the front brakes it switches the ecu into a different map , we need a bit of tweaking on the track to get right , and this could change with temperature and grip of the track, so lots of notes will be taken.

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
when the line lock is applied locking up the front brakes it switches the ecu into a different map , we need a bit of tweaking on the track to get right , and this could change with temperature and grip of the track, so lots of notes will be taken.

Cool, be interesting to hear how you get on with it over the weekend

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
had a very quick peek on Facebook, looks like Dave got a new pb in around 12.5 :D

Beetle sounds wicked too, very angry...

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
had a very quick peek on Facebook, looks like Dave got a new pb in around 12.5 :D

Beetle sounds wicked too, very angry...

He now has the title, Irelands quickest beetle, and only a couple of 100ths of being the quickest ever naturally aspirated car over the 1/4 mile.

0060D7D0-F6EB-4FC0-A37F-87D302DADCEE_zpsfjjub6hs.jpg

Couldnt be more happy for him :D

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com
had a good day , first 2 runs were 13.1 Seconds which considering the track temp of about 12 C and air temp about 6C I was well happy with the runs .
compare that to my best run last year with a scorching hot track at air-cooled drag day of 12.9seconds.

then getting a better handle on launching the car I did a 12.88 followed by a 12.59 . the track temp rose a few degrees but was cooled buy the ever present strong side wind. had 2 more 12.6 runs and another 12.5 followed by a missed third gear run 16.5.

my 12.5 made me the fastest normally aspirated car of the day and 4th fastest car overall .I made it into the semi finals and run a winning 12.7 .

into the finals for my fastest et of the day 12.42 losing the race with a slow reaction time to the lights, but quicker than the other car , check out the timing slip ben has posted above. the day was run by the Honda haven club what would I do with a Honda voucher for parts anyway lol

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
well done dave :)

is there more in it for the next meet or when the weather gets better? Going by the slip above you could easily get into the 11s with a better reaction time?

caddy

Club Member
Club Member
September 22, 2009
Armagh
bugbitz.com

is there more in it for the next meet or when the weather gets better? Going by the slip above you could easily get into the 11s with a better reaction time?

time will tell, but it looks promising . 12.9 at drag day last year and a month later all I could manage with the same setup at the same track was 13.9 the difference being a cold day .

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i

Reaction times count for nothing on your e.t, you could sit on the line for 30 seconds, the timing of the run doesnt start until the front wheel breaks the beams.

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
had a good day , first 2 runs were 13.1 Seconds which considering the track temp of about 12 C and air temp about 6C I was well happy with the runs .
compare that to my best run last year with a scorching hot track at air-cooled drag day of 12.9seconds.

then getting a better handle on launching the car I did a 12.88 followed by a 12.59 . the track temp rose a few degrees but was cooled buy the ever present strong side wind. had 2 more 12.6 runs and another 12.5 followed by a missed third gear run 16.5.

my 12.5 made me the fastest normally aspirated car of the day and 4th fastest car overall .I made it into the semi finals and run a winning 12.7 .

into the finals for my fastest et of the day 12.42 losing the race with a slow reaction time to the lights, but quicker than the other car , check out the timing slip ben has posted above. the day was run by the Honda haven club what would I do with a Honda voucher for parts anyway lol

excellent stuff, exciting just reading all that! Did the launch control help?..!

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
1.69 60ft

Just to give you an idea how good that is, the black subaru legacy of micheal whites was running 1.6s at the drag day on a hot day with a full burnout and 750 bhp.
Daves 1.6 was with an 18 degree track temp and cold tyres no burnout.

Edit, i just found out that it may well be the quickest ever naturally aspirated powered vehicle timed over the quarter on these shores, yet to verify it, but it looks like it could well be, if thats the case, thats awesome.

Last edited: