Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Barn Bugs and Wags 2013. October 26th and 27th.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
this years "Spanner" awards have been finalised and are ready for two lucky (well, one lucky, one unlucky!) recipients come Sunday.

If anyone wants to look back over the Workshop and Arena areas of the forum and suggest suitable candidates for the best DIY project (doesn't have to be finished, incidentally, it can be on-going) and the biggest screw-up of the year, please PM your suggestions to me.

Just so you know, the "Silver Spanner" isn't an award for someone who paid a pro to do the work for them (nothing wrong with that: if you have the means, I highly recommend it), it's for the "have a go hero" who rolls up his sleeves, goes out to the freezing cold shed at night, puts in his own graft, learns as he goes along, improvises where necessary etc.

The "Busted Spanner" is open to anyone who not only made a bit of a boo-boo while maintaining their old veedub but were brave enough to tell the rest of us about it. I've been that soldier myself on more than one occasion (don't mention the plug leads incident(s) ) but sadly, I'm exempt from receiving my own award. Like the folks in the radio station can't win the cash prizes. Same thing... :ROFLMAO:

so, suggestions by PM please :)

Something along the lines of going to change the thermostat in a BMW and two weeks later I'm left waiting on a third box of parts to arrive, and in the meantime getting the wrong train home. Twice. In one day.

Something like that....but with a VW?

p0x

Club Member
Club Member
November 15, 2006
Cork
Something along the lines of going to change the thermostat in a BMW and two weeks later I'm left waiting on a third box of parts to arrive, and in the meantime getting the wrong train home. Twice. In one day.

Something like that....but with a VW?
Wrong train? Twice? How the fuck? But there's only two different trains...unless you were jumping off the bridge just below work onto it. Thats always going to be the midleton train.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Two trains. One is wrong. I got the wrong one, jumped off at next station and got another back to Glounthaune (the station before the track splits) as it pulled in my train was also just pulling in so I ran across the bridge and dived on. It was the same one. :ROFLMAO:

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
thanks to Jon, Jackie & co for a cracking weekend! Rez did a fine job too, keeping the atmosphere thumping well into the not-so-small hours :ROFLMAO:

Rocky

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2008
North Wexford
A few pics from this afternoon ...

CopyofIMG_9632_zpsb7a3bc3c.jpg

CopyofIMG_9622_zps7a731361.jpg

CopyofIMG_9621_zpsdf9d00e0.jpg

CopyofIMG_9620_zps9d5e879e.jpg

CopyofIMG_9623_zps3550869c.jpg

CopyofIMG_9624_zps32bfbc1b.jpg

CopyofIMG_9628_zpsb17b4762.jpg

CopyofIMG_9625_zps87ff8ddd.jpg

CopyofIMG_9627_zps236f11f6.jpg

CopyofIMG_9626_zps2d1a58d1.jpg

CopyofIMG_9630_zpse79ccf43.jpg

CopyofIMG_9629_zps878cbeb9.jpg

CopyofIMG_9631_zps6c09bd81.jpg

old grey 52

Club Member
Club Member
January 26, 2012
Dublin
Thanks to Jon and jackie for a brilliant time first meeting and deffo not the last great to meet all the other VW nuts and thanks a mill for the votes we are so proud of our prize.See you soon Dee and Anthony.

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
Massive thanks to Jon, Jackie and family for yet again putting on a fantastic party and show. We had a brilliant weekend and it was great to both catch up with some people I haven't seen in a while and meet some new faces too.
We were particularly delighted to see Dee and Anthony take the people's choice for their bus.. A well deserved prize.

I was surprised enough at getting 1 prize for our van, but was completely shocked when my name was called for the 2nd one.. Many thanks to all involved.. (your cheques are in the post :p)

Roll on Barn Bugs 2014!!

rascal1

Club Member
Club Member
January 12, 2007
Marino, Dublin
I was also surprised to recieve a "PRIZE",though I am uncertain if it is really a prize.Being victorious in the Busted Spanner division is hardly something to be proud of.But it was deserved as I had made a rather splendid ballsup of assembling that thrust bearing in the new engine.
A bit of history on the occasion of my success in winning this trophy follows.

I had never build a VW engine and although I have repaired and rebuilt a few engines over the years,never an aircooled.
So I decided that as the engine in the van was there when I bought the bus 10 years ago and I have put 75,000 miles on it in that time,I felt it was due.
So I decided to build a 1745,which is basically standards barrels with a 76 crank,CB forged and counterweighted, which meant the only machining required was for full flow filtering.There was some clearancing of the case required but this was minimal.
My target compression was 8.5 and a swish plane of between 0.045" and 0.050".
The idea was for the engine to be efficent and to have torque at low rpm.
The cam was a CB2280.This cam gave me lift at the valve of 0.396"which was measured during the build.
With very little overlap this cam is supposed to be efficient,I never got to find out..
I used forged Pistons and these were balanced to within half a gram and matched to the gudgeon pins.
I spent a long time looking for heads with small valves 33 inlet and 32 exhaust with long reach plugs but I was unsuccesful.I did get a set of standard ones that had a long reach plug but the combustion chamber was too big. I eventually used a set of standard heads. These were given a bit of a rub to smooth the flow and they were cc'd to about 1cc of each other.
I used solid spacers under the barrels to get the compression and head clearance correct.These were 0.127" thick.
I got these made specially and were ground to size.
Eventually I put it all together and done the cam break in and all was looking good.
Put it into the van,stuck on a pair of Weber 36 IDFs,spent an age learning how to set them up and away I went,for 500 miles.It was a very nice engine and seemed to be what I wanted.
Then I discoved a problem with my accelerator,it was hitiing the floor before it opened the carbs. I made an adjustment to the floor with a large ball pein hammer, now the carbs were fully open.
Took it for a spin and it wanted more,so I gave it more.Onto the M1 and I gave it some more again and she liked it.
Then there was rush of blood to the head,the wrong one in this case and the lets see what it will do moment came and it took over.At 90 mph in the fast lane there was a judder,not huge but something that immediately makes it clear that you really shouldn't be doing this to this engine.I went home,pulled the dipstick and there it was the metallic sheen of doom.
I pulled the engine,brought it up to Dave Wheatley and asked him to strip it and tell me how I screwed up.
In the end it was easy to see the problem on the thrust bearing. The dowel was not centred in the hole and it bruised the bearing which gave a tight spot on the crank and then ate itself to death.
So a well deserved prize.
And thanks to whoever it was that told Trev about it...

kombi.noise

Club Member
Club Member
October 20, 2010
galway
i was also surprised to recieve a "prize",though i am uncertain if it is really a prize.being victorious in the busted spanner division is hardly something to be proud of.but it was deserved as i had made a rather splendid ballsup of assembling that thrust bearing in the new engine.
A bit of history on the occasion of my success in winning this trophy follows.

I had never build a vw engine and although i have repaired and rebuilt a few engines over the years,never an aircooled.
So i decided that as the engine in the van was there when i bought the bus 10 years ago and i have put 75,000 miles on it in that time,i felt it was due.
So i decided to build a 1745,which is basically standards barrels with a 76 crank,cb forged and counterweighted, which meant the only machining required was for full flow filtering.there was some clearancing of the case required but this was minimal.
My target compression was 8.5 and a swish plane of between 0.045" and 0.050".
The idea was for the engine to be efficent and to have torque at low rpm.
The cam was a cb2280.this cam gave me lift at the valve of 0.396"which was measured during the build.
With very little overlap this cam is supposed to be efficient,i never got to find out..
I used forged pistons and these were balanced to within half a gram and matched to the gudgeon pins.
I spent a long time looking for heads with small valves 33 inlet and 32 exhaust with long reach plugs but i was unsuccesful.i did get a set of standard ones that had a long reach plug but the combustion chamber was too big. I eventually used a set of standard heads. These were given a bit of a rub to smooth the flow and they were cc'd to about 1cc of each other.
I used solid spacers under the barrels to get the compression and head clearance correct.these were 0.127" thick.
I got these made specially and were ground to size.
Eventually i put it all together and done the cam break in and all was looking good.
Put it into the van,stuck on a pair of weber 36 idfs,spent an age learning how to set them up and away i went,for 500 miles.it was a very nice engine and seemed to be what i wanted.
Then i discoved a problem with my accelerator,it was hitiing the floor before it opened the carbs. I made an adjustment to the floor with a large ball pein hammer, now the carbs were fully open.
Took it for a spin and it wanted more,so i gave it more.onto the m1 and i gave it some more again and she liked it.
Then there was rush of blood to the head,the wrong one in this case and the lets see what it will do moment came and it took over.at 90 mph in the fast lane there was a judder,not huge but something that immediately makes it clear that you really shouldn't be doing this to this engine.i went home,pulled the dipstick and there it was the metallic sheen of doom.
I pulled the engine,brought it up to dave wheatley and asked him to strip it and tell me how i screwed up.
In the end it was easy to see the problem on the thrust bearing. The dowel was not centred in the hole and it bruised the bearing which gave a tight spot on the crank and then ate itself to death.
So a well deserved prize.
And thanks to whoever it was that told trev about it...

i think it was ross !

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Took it for a spin and it wanted more,so I gave it more.Onto the M1 and I gave it some more again and she liked it.

I love how you put that into words :ROFLMAO:

And thanks to whoever it was that told Trev about it...

You have yourself to thank for that, you told me the story and showed me the bearing the last time you were at Monasterevin! Now make sure you put your Busted Spanner award somewhere within sight in the garage, it'll serve as a reminder to be extra super careful next time!! ;)

rascal1

Club Member
Club Member
January 12, 2007
Marino, Dublin
You have yourself to thank for that, you told me the story and showed me the bearing the last time you were at Monasterevin! Now make sure you put your Busted Spanner award somewhere within sight in the garage, it'll serve as a reminder to be extra super careful next time!! ;)

I forgot that,must learn to keep my mouth closed in the future.The award is now resting in a suitable location.:p:p

biddlebop

Club Member
Club Member
November 8, 2010
westmeath
besides awards and locations of thereafter i would like to thank jon and jakie for a brilliant show and hospitality that is second to none and all the best and i would also like to thank trev and duts for getting the fridge up to me if there is anything you need or looking for dont hesitate to give me a shout

Robbie

Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2010
Dublin
Big thanks to Jon and Jackie. I've never managed to get to this until now and have to say enjoyed the day. Good people, Good food and good music!

Thanks again.

biddlebop

Club Member
Club Member
November 8, 2010
westmeath
I know trev but you had duts mobile the eircooled underground parts express strikes again and if I can help anybody I can