Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] Bargains on DoneDeal

airhead_eire

January 12, 2019
I see a good few Beetles on Donedeal at €10k+ and they seem to be still for sale for awhile now. Which begs the question, is this optimism or are those prices really being made within Ireland ?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
A seller can ask whatever they like on Donedeal but we never find out the actual sale price! The sale price is almost never higher than the asking price so you can understand starting high and leaving some wiggle room.

However...
There's still a preconception that Beetles are cheap cars. Bad ones might still be cheap but try restoring one to a good standard and you'll realise they're not as cheap as people think. So when someone spends on a resto, they're entitled to try to recoup their costs if they decide to sell.
The buyer should weigh up the price of buying a complete, driving car against the cost of buying a cheap one in bad shape and getting it to the condition of the complete one on Donedeal. The finished one often works out cheaper and certainly you'll be motoring sooner! Time has value too.

I think it's about time we recognised their rising value**

**unless it's me who's buying, of course. Then I want your 10k car for 1k 😂

airhead_eire

January 12, 2019
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with all those points. I just wondered when I see a good few still for sale and the advert is say something like 60 days old.

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
If you do your own resto work on a beetle, type3,bus ect, whatever it is, dont add up the cost of parts even before any work.............especially in front of the other half. Otherwise you would either faint at the cost, or the other half would kill you. A set of decent rims and wheels will probably hit 1500 euros, paint and consumables another 1500 if you are lucky. And thats before you even open the tool box.
That red beetle for 10k seems to be good value.

NoahR

Club Member
Club Member
February 24, 2021
Co. Dublin
www.youtube.com

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Well speaking of Irish varients and prices. Have a look at this.
https://www.donedeal.ie/view/31324958

@Coxy the reg looks familiar.
Started off at 11000 a few weeks ago so thats a fair drop in price, not my cup of tea though. Type 3 's are not as popular as beetles, even tho they are rarer and a more comfortable drive. And not everyone is prepared to restore one. I tried for months to sell my white one before the resto, even offering to give it away, but no takers. I'd say that fastback van will be tricky enough to move on, but whatever floats your boat.

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
Although in fairness type 3 variants resto's seem to get a bit of an audience.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 19-35-57 img-20220911-002732.webp (WEBP Image 1080 × 425 pixels).png
    Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 19-35-57 img-20220911-002732.webp (WEBP Image 1080 × 425 pixels).png
    107.2 KB · Views: 85