Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Car] anyone know of a vw bus i can rent in new zealand

badmarx

August 11, 2009
ireland
hey lads sorry if this should be someplace else. Im trying to find any company that will rent a classic VW camper in Christchurch New Zealand. going next week for two. Im using it as an excuse to sell the idea of retoring one :)

SteveR

Club Member
Club Member
April 28, 2009
Knocklyon, Dublin
Don't know of any VW camper van rentals in NZ, there are a few companies in NZ that do campers though. If your looking for a cheep camper Wicked Campers are very popular with Backpackers but have a bad customer service(trust me). Remember though that New Zealand are in their winter now and it gets very cold there, especially in the south island. I rented a car from Jucy Rentals on their budget deal http://www.jucy.co.nz/vehicles/El-Cheapo.aspx. It cos 650 euro for seven weeks. We stayed in hostels while in New Zealand. The hostels there are amazing, they're more like B&B's and i would highly recommend doing it that way at this time of year. I spent 3 months living out of a camper van in Oz and it got very cold there some nights son can only imagine it'd be a lot worse in New Zealand.

If your looking for anymore advice on New Zealand drop me a pm and i'll see what else i can remember. There are definately a few places i would recommend off hand. If you are anywhere near Wanaka then http://www.wanakatransportandtoymuseum.com/ is well worth a visit and while your in Wanaka if you may aswell pop into http://www.puzzlingworld.co.nz/.

RattyOval

AKA Deckie
Admin
November 21, 2006
Ballytoooooole .............
I got a modern vw over there. Maui I think.
It made an electric heater built in.
Wicked mostly have old Toyotas and mazadas painted in mad ways
Stayed in it every night for 3 weeks even though had promised a few hotels it was do comfortable
As above the camp sites over there would put a lot of 3 star hotels to shame

badmarx

August 11, 2009
ireland
ha thanks lads. yeah iv done the wicked camper van thing in oz, had a hi ace with a bed in the back for tasi and it was actually better. like ye said the hostels in NZ are class. going back to the best of um for a hol :) tasmania is the place for ye lads, everyone drives a classic of some kind and loads of really cool american stuff. its like Ireland with good weather.

SteveR

Club Member
Club Member
April 28, 2009
Knocklyon, Dublin
Was in Tasmania myself, great spot. But New Zealand is amazing. Its one place i would go back to. The south island has some amazing driving roads, probably the best i've ever driven. Somewhere between Invercargill and Queenstown i spotted 2 or 3 split panels sitting in a field. I was so tempted to stop, probably should have but new i didn't have the money to do anything about them.