Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] '78 Derby

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I bought this in Limerick last year, owned it for a week and sold it on to a chap who transformed it in my opinion. It looked great once he was finished. Got it all done in a couple of weeks too. GT engine, bike carbs, lowered, wheels. Nice :)

first owner was a priest in Mullinahone incidentally :ROFLMAO:

before:

polo1.jpg

after:

NEWcamerapics159.jpg

British Leyland Man

June 28, 2009
Ballymena
Well I must say I definitely get the Derby thing, although I'm not sure about Jennifer Aniston! Think I'd forego the small and nippy thing and go for something built for comfort...like Charlotte Church! Love the Polo, (I have seven! Did have eleven but had to wise up a bit lol) but being a bit of a purist I think I prefer it pre-transformation! Sorry lads :D

p0x

Club Member
Club Member
November 15, 2006
Cork
Jesus - thats nice! What was the "Formel E" designation on derbys & early polos about? Every derby & early polo i can remember seeing had the badge on them. Some kind of warning that you get nothing with them? Just goes to show you can sex up almost anything! Well, except maybe not a ford orion!
Really liking the whole Bruce & Jackie thing too!!

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
The "Formel E" badge on the boot refers to the engine/drivetrain. I suppose in the '70s and '80s they were on an economy drive and they equipped the Formel E cars with high compression 1.1 carburettor engines and an overdrive fourth gear in an effort to maximise the fuel economy. I think they got low rolling esistance tyres too. You did have to use higher octane 98RON fuel though to get the fuel economy but since that was more expensive than ordinary 95RON petrol I can't see too many miserable bachelor farmers splashing out on the premium juice.

They also put a fuel economy gauge in the dash clocks. It wasn't an exact science, it was run off inlet manifold vacuum so depending on how far open the throttle butterfly was, the vacuum was greater or less and moved the needle on the dash. As for the trim level, the Formel E Derby didn't come with bog standard "S" spec (no chrome trim, one sun visor) but it came with the "LS" spec (chrome side trim, chrome trim in the window rubbers, TWO sun visors !!!, still no headrests in the seats though).

I presume something similar applied to the Formel E golfs. From what I can gather, the UK didn't get Formel E mk1 Polos/Derbys. They waited til the mk2 Polo/Polo Saloon came in to introduce the Formel E spec.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
oh yeah, you had to specify the LW/MW mono radio and speaker as an optional extra on the lower specs (S/L/LS) and you had to go to GL/GLS spec to get a fag lighter/12v socket and a second door mirror. GL/GLS also got headrests as standard, rear seatbelts, a rev counter and the GLS got a 1.3 carbed engine.

the fucking misery of it all...

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
:ROFLMAO: I remember the variety of shitboxes my parents had over the years! The old copper coloured Datsun Violet that had the good fortune of being copper coloured so you couldn't see the rust is one that sticks in my mind, oh and the opel manta (very cool cause it ran on LPG). They never had a beetle though! You gotta love the old economy cars, especially VWs. Their tagline was: its a car, what more do you want?