Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] 1971 1302 Steel Sunroof Automatic - mostly original paint and service history

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
I'm selling my 1302 Steel Sunroof Automatic Beetle.

The Beetle was bought new by an English gentleman in Munich as a special order from the factory in 1971. After using the Beetle in Germany (and getting it serviced there twice) he then brought the Beetle back to the UK with him when he moved home in 1973.

He clearly loved his Beetle as he kept to the manufacturers service schedules and all was noted in the service book which is still with the car.
Every owner after him was also very fond of the Beetle as there is a folder full of receipts and it has been maintained as needed over the years. Most of the paint is the original Clementine Orange and it's a fantastic colour on a Beetle.

This Beetle has many extras that were factory orders such as......
  • 1600cc engine
  • Heated rear window
  • Automatic gearbox
  • Lemmerz Sprintstar rims
  • Metal sunroof
  • Anti dazzle rear view mirror
  • Sunvisor makeup mirror, passenger
  • High back seats
  • Safety belts
  • Radio
  • Mudflaps
  • Pop out side windows
  • Impact strips on the bumpers - the front one has been replaced and is missing the impact strip

It has survived really well and is a fun car to drive with the auto box. The sunroof opens and closes, albeit a little slowly but a shot of grease should sort that out. The 1600cc engine fires up first turn of the key. There is a dealer badge from Munich still on the front quarter panel which is pretty cool. As I say, this was a well loved car and it shows as it is a true survivor car many ways. There is even a copy of letter from a previous owner to the original owner asking for information as she loves her Beetle and would like to know more about why it is so special. Beetles ordered with steel sunroofs are rare as are pop out windows but this also has the added cool factor of the auto box and other accessories.

I bought this Beetle with the intention of using it as a daily driver but I haven't had the time to do anything with it as work has left me with little or no VW time this year. I also need to get the Bay finished and the Cal Look needs my time too so when you add in that this Beetle has sat in the barn under a cover since I bought it, it's fair to say it needs a new home.

It's in need of a tune up to get it whistling as it should. There are a few scabs on the body as you would expect but nothing to get too excited about. It's a Beetle you could get in and drive as is.

EDIT 22-9-15:

I had a good poke around this car over the weekend. It really is a great car but it's not without its faults (as they all are) but it's all original paint and full of nice toys which is a massive plus.

The not so Purdy bits are:

• Non structural rust on the off side suspension mount - it's an easy repair
  • Sunroof sticking on the opening 'click' only and is smooth to open and close after that
  • Running boards are spurious ones and were not painted/protected when fitted so have corroded
  • Needs a service - fires up first time but timing is out so a call to CustomVolkz would be a good one
  • Over the years it has had repair work which is of a good standard but not hidden
  • the frame head has some rust starting so it'd be good to get it now - CustomVolkz did the same repair to my GT last year
  • it's taking up space in the barn and needs to go :D

The Fan-Dabby-Doozie bits:
  • All original paint from 1971
  • Loads of factory fitted accessories
  • Strong 1600cc engine
  • Steel sliding sunroof with pop out windows
  • The doors close with a nice gentle clunk - no sagging of the hinges or door pillars
  • Eye catching Clementine colour
  • lots of service history
  • A new reduced price (y) ..............so I don't have to listen to the DD gobshites anymore!!!!!!!

The price is reduced to €3,400 obo

Now for the piccies (y)

Last edited:

gary g

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Letterkenny, Donegal
I really like this. Fantastic looking bug for a stock set up. Those wheels really set it off. Bet it's a real comfy car. Good luck with the sale, I'm sure it won't take long...

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Somebody please buy this!!! love it :rolleyes:

Original seventies beetles are really getting scarce! specially with such history never mind an automatic!!.

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
I never knew that Bugs came as Full automatic boxes. I thought that they were semi autos like The Porsche Sportomatics where you could still shift them and the shift lever was pressure sensitive. Learn something new every day. Very nice Bug!

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
It's not a full automatic Britt but no Beetle was. Over here in Europe they were sold and badged as 'automatic' whereas in the U.S. they were badged and sold as semi automatic/auto stick shift but they are one and the same. It's such a clever system really.
Type 3s and Type 4s had fully auto boxes but not Beetles.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Cheers. It's a lovely original Beetle that hasn't been mucked about. It was a special order model and still retains all of its special order accessories which is pretty cool considering that was 44 years ago!

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
1302's rule

2015-09-08-13-20-06--1867769256.jpeg

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
I love everything about this car. If I had the cash I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Wish you genuine luck with the sale, hope it's bought by someone who appreciates it.

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Pity it had to go on dd, would have thought it would have sold by now. Best of luck with it

Cheers Gary. Yeah, DD can be a head wrecking experience but sometimes you have to throw the net wider so the new owner can find it. I've made the decision to sell it so I'll suffer the DD tyre kickers for now :mad:

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
I've made the decision to sell it so I'll suffer the DD tyre kickers for now :mad:

OK, I take it back. I can't cope with the DD timewasters anymore!!!!!!!

".......no, I'm not buyin but I'd just like ta have a gawk ah ih"
"De wife's gone shoppin so I thought I'd call over for a chat about Volkswagens"
"I'm not doin an'in today so I'd like to look at your caaaaaaar"
"
Do you want to buy it?" "No, I'm not lookin for an orange car"

"Do you want to buy it?" "No, I'm not lookin for a car but I'm lonely so will ya talk to me"
"Jaysus, me daaaa had one a dem years ago so I had to have an auld look"
"Do you want to buy it?" "No, but let me tell ya about the tractor I bought lasht year and me friend who bought half an apple and a ticket to the moon for 3 and 6" ...........................it goes on and on and f**king on :mad:

So, to stop those calling to see it who think it's a fresh from the factory car with zero miles I decided last weekend to go over and under it and below is my list of yays and nays. I've had loads of offers over the phone but I won't entertain them unless people see the car in the flesh.

The not so Purdy bits are:
  • Non structural rust on the off side suspension mount - it's an easy repair
  • Sunroof sticking on the opening 'click' only and is smooth to open and close after that
  • Running boards are spurious ones and were not painted/protected when fitted so have corroded
  • Needs a service - fires up first time but timing is out so a call to CustomVolkz would be a good one
  • Over the years it has had repair work which is of a good standard but not hidden
  • the frame head has some rust starting so it'd be good to get it now - CustomVolkz did the same repair to my GT last year
  • it's taking up space in the barn and needs to go :D

The Fan-Dabby-Doozie bits:

• All original paint from 1971
  • Loads of factory fitted accessories
  • Strong 1600cc engine
  • Steel sliding sunroof with pop out windows
  • The doors close with a nice gentle clunk - no sagging of the hinges or door pillars
  • Eye catching Clementine colour
  • lots of service history
  • A new reduced price (y) ..............so I don't have to listen to the DD gobshites anymore!!!!!!!

The price is reduced to €3,400 obo

Last edited: