Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] 1970 Early Bay Westy TDi project

mac

Club Member
Club Member
As the above states I have an Early Bay Westy- LHD rust free from Arizona, that I imported through Britt (roadcow) a few years back.(3700)The plan was to do a TDI conversion and I have 95% of the necessary components to finish the job. Here is the script... the van is cleared and has a 70 L plate, I have made provisions for the bus to have all disc breaks from a later bay, to ensure better braking with the use of a diesel lump, but I also have the original drum brakes should you want to go back to standard, van ATM is stripped out and on dollies, I replaced the inner and outer front clip and have made a box to hold the radiator, replaced the rear quarter and sorted some messy floor pieces, just needs either sanding and sprayed or blasted and sprayed. I decided to strip it - Glass, doors, interior, mechanics, power washed it and proceed to add a newer 70's engine hatch to allow easy service of a Tdi lump, that was approximately a cost of 600 euro including vrt, plates and registration and panels.I bought 2 pk Etch primer @ 250 euro, then I was on the look out for a 2.0 tdi with an AH engine code and bought on for 700 euro, the ECU i can have remapped, then it was on to pipe work, an infamous Tdi Bay worked so well I was modeling mine on his with regards the conversion and the radiator positioning- so I bought 20' of 1'' steel steam pipe heavy wall and all elbows 45's, 90's and unions to suit, this was to enable the flow and return from the radiator (at the font) to the engine (rear) incase you didn't know, I also bought a radiator that I had started to box in, to the front clip- this was a further 350 euro.
Seats I bought from a Toyota Corolla (bucket seats) they are very few newer seats will fit well in a bay these are tried and tested - 100 euro.
I bought a set of coco mats @ VanFest in the UK for 100 euro.
http://madmatz.absolutewebhosting5.co.uk/prod6.asp?ID=279&sub_cat=679&offset=&prod_id=165
Then I was onto paint and I bought 5 Gallons of paint that is used for metal albeit not automotive, but I had seen used for interior and for the undercarriage to great effect, flawless finish, no chipping or orange peel, so I was going to do a cheaper alternative to a full respray. this doesn't have to be used but I would be more than confident with the finish for at least the interior and underneath and wheel arches 250 euro.
So thats pretty much it - the van will need either dollies to move it or spend an hour or so bolting in the front beam along with the rear drums so wheels can be bolted on to tailor it away.
I have all glass, doors, westy roof, disc and drum breaks. New front clip and inner.
All this van needs is a 6rib box, plumb pipework to radiator fit Tdi, blast and paint. Shes rust free and the long panel is good and dent free.
I would have given my right nut to have been offered this all together for 5k so thats where it's at i'm into this for a tad over 6k and probably 50hrs work even tho you wouldn't know by looking at it lol .
Van Located in county Limerick, 4k firm, 5k with tdi complete/pipes/radiator/and all paints and extras,I've had this for 4years and don't have to sell her so don't low ball, and NO tyre kickers. Pm me if interested-I'll post some pics shortly
Mac

Last edited:

Coxy

Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
April 20, 2007
Limerick
www.beetle.ie
Great bargain Mac. It's a really solid Bus......and after we did that strip the underseal off day we could all see how rust free this is, and its been in dry storage since it got here. GLWS Mac.

If you're looking for a rust free Early Bay this is it.

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
Got to thinking about this Camper a bit more and even if you put it together stock you are just in it 1/2 price in todays market. I'd be interested in the Passat if someone wanted the Camper.

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
I'm just back from the Clubhouse. Have been taking more pics for Mac. It had been about a year since I was under it but it's probably one of the most solid campers in this country. For anyone looking for a project THIS IS THE ONE!
Parts are still there to return it fully to aircooled.
Mac will upload the pics once he goes through all the ones I'm sending him

mac

Club Member
Club Member
So here are some of the pics that RezKev took today, it's pretty much how i left it and glad to say Im suitably impressed with the dryness of my garage, albeit untidy.
So there's doors ,rear hatch, westy interior, front beam with disc set up, master cylinder, steering box, I also put in a pic of my bumpers- they have be Galvanized along with the hangers and steps, so no more rust ever-just need a little dollying- I was going to color code so happy days. all clocks and complete dash with good pad, ive included the original pipe work should it be of use.

Westy stuff ...

Bay steering box

Master cylinder

mac

Club Member
Club Member
So when I had the turn over jig for the bay I stripped off the old underseal and it's amazing what a 1970 bus with not salt or water can look like these pics still amaze me, th edifference between buying a 2k project and a 5k project, the 5k doesn't need 5k spent on it with welding and panels....

To even call this rust is an insult to rust, lets just say a yard brush would shift it.

here again the Blueish color is original .....WOW !!!!!!!!!

So there you have it solid on top of solid on top of solid so roll on up lol.....

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Just to add.......
When Mac realised he was emigrating it kinda happened overnight. The Bay was pushed to the back and there are 3 other cars in front. I got pics of what I could get to but didn't have space to lay out everything for pics. I can assure that this van came in pretty much complete (minus the engine). All parts are still around. I can meet any one who genuinely wants to view it but you need to go through Mac first.