Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1964 Beetle.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
deadly! this is the very car I wasn't able to build! I love your "can-do" attitude to every aspect of the car, well done!

what was the solution for the water manifold? It's not fitted in that last picture, is it?

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
ha-i'm sure you'd be better able than me Trev,i just have nothing better to be at most of the time!
no -it's not fitted there-i haven't figured out how to sort it yet-i might try make one from steel tomorrow,but i wouldn't be too confident that it would work without leaking.there are some slightly different Subaru ones that might work,but i haven't really tried to find them yet.thanks for the kind comments.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
thanks Ben.i should really have a lot more done,considering it hasn't made it past the front gate in over a year!thanks tho.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
have had a brake from working on the car lately and just got back at it in the last few weeks really.i have to say a massive thanks to Seanie Davy for doing a load of brilliant work on the wiring loom-i have some pictures here of the work he is doing-amazing stuff to me-the loom is down to about 15% of the size it was i'd say.also got a few other bits done,like fitting the water pipes and rads and stuff-also tried to flare me rear wings!?..kinda works for now..i think..

these wings weren't made in Wolfsberg,so its OK!

Last edited:

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
this is the engine loom,after taking all the unnissary stuff(a lot!) away,and rerouting it ans shortening all the wires to suit the Beetle!

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
this is it all finished up and ready to fit.its hard to imagine the amount of work going into it without seeing someone doing it-cheerrs Seanie!

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
and that was the easy bit-the engine loom is small compared to the rest.we tried to fit the ecu and as much as possiable into the silver lunch-box behind the seat-

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
ya-fair play to him Trev-we did an 18 hour shift in the garage on saturday-well Seanie was working-i was making tae and scratching me head and trying to figure out what tyres would fit.
this pic is early in the day,before sleep deprivation really set in..

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
but the job turned out class despite it,i have to say.these bits(technical term unknown) are going inside the silver box..

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway
we wont need to keep the clocks for much longer,and i wont be sorry to see the back of the Subaru key/ignition-back to the origional one.

whatucolm

Club Member
Club Member
September 2, 2008
galway

i dont think there is much left to do now,but cover it with black stuff and re-fit it.i delighted with the way it is turning out,i have to say.
there are a few bits to finish up near the dash with the beetle loom side of things,but i think we might try fire it up in the next week or so,and hopefully get it out to Tynagh on the 26th.