Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Wanted: Engine stand

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Looking for an engine stand suitable for flat four and flat six - anything out there?

Last edited by a moderator:

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
thanks lads...might be a daft question but can you attach a bell housing to the engine for starting while its still mounted on the stand?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Padraig, if you can get a bay window bellhousing you can make your own engine stand with starter capability. You don't get the 360 degree rotation you get with a shop-bought engine stand though, unless you attach the bellhousing to the stand that is...

here's one I made earlier...

IM000246-1.jpg

J

john_lyons36

LOL

Engine stands and bell houseing's are for Wusses
Old skool Lads
How many people had engine stands 40-50 years ago??
they were lucky to have 2 plug spanners

why would you want 2 plug spanners????:ROFLMAO:

Ger

Club Member
Club Member
December 8, 2006
Ennis
I bought a Clarke CES 500A Stand (3 wheel small one) but still had to shorten the L shaped bits (and drill new holes) that go out to the 4 engine mount bolts as they couldn't all pull into the tight shape needed to hold the VW engine.

I started the engine on the floor with the standard swing axel gearbox

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
Padraig, if you can get a bay window bellhousing you can make your own engine stand with starter capability. You don't get the 360 degree rotation you get with a shop-bought engine stand though, unless you attach the bellhousing to the stand that is...

here's one I made earlier...

IM000246-1.jpg

That looks pretty neat actually, exactly what I'm looking for. Have a bus bell housing, but getting a bit sick of working on things on the ground...
...you went a bit mad with the detailing brush there all the same... ;) :D

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
I bought a Clarke CES 500A Stand (3 wheel small one) but still had to shorten the L shaped bits (and drill new holes) that go out to the 4 engine mount bolts as they couldn't all pull into the tight shape needed to hold the VW engine.

I started the engine on the floor with the standard swing axel gearbox

How do you find it? Is it stable enough?