Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] non VW, non car even: bike parts and accessories wanted

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I'm trying to fix up my long abandoned mountain bike with a view to taking the babby for spins around the country lanes/woodland round here.

I need:

a right side 7-speed gripshift mechanism
a rear axle to suit a quick-release skewer. I welded up the broken one on it but I'd sooner go with a new one.
a child carrier for the back of the bike. The type that looks like a bucket seat with legs
a helmet to suit a sub-2 year old
a helmet to suit my fat head
a kick-out bike stand

maybe someone here has a child that has graduated from the back of daddy's bike to a bike of their own and some of this kind of stuff is sitting in the attic.

Anyone?

Gritz

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Tipperary
I'm trying to fix up my long abandoned mountain bike with a view to taking the babby for spins around the country lanes/woodland round here.

I need:

a rear axle to suit a quick-release skewer. I welded up the broken one on it but I'd sooner go with a new one.
a child carrier for the back of the bike. The type that looks like a bucket seat with legs
a kick-out bike stand

maybe someone here has a child that has graduated from the back of daddy's bike to a bike of their own and some of this kind of stuff is sitting in the attic.

Anyone?

Fucking hell trev.... did you buy it from Screwy???

riggsi

Club Member
Club Member
June 12, 2008
Meath
I had one of those bike seats,if its still in the shead its yours,if not I have one of them bike trailers you can have if its any good to you.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
have a root around Colm and let me know what you have. Will gladly exchange for beer tokens :)

duts

Club Member
Club Member
January 31, 2010
Laois
Would liam not be able to point ya in the right direction, isn't he the bike man round here???

p0x

Club Member
Club Member
November 15, 2006
Cork

I need:

a kick-out bike stand

Anyone?

Trev - If your bringing the babby with you, get the best stuff you can afford.
Probably nothing wrong with aldi/lidl/smiths stuff, but if 'twere me and my kid on the bike, I wouldn't be too comfortable with some no-name cheapass protective gear.
Always get new parts for a bike - no point fuckin around with welded skewers when a set of new qr ones can cost less than €20. Weeride type of seat is best. Forget trailers, they're a bitch offroad, kids too exposed on the road to drivers that don't give a shit and/or don't see them.
www.chainreactioncycles.com should have most of what you need and free shipping. Helmets are pretty reasonably priced there too.
While you're there, see what 7k can get you....
www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66784

411 guy

March 14, 2007
co clare
I found 2 of the bucket seats with the legs like you suggested , they're yours if you want them. PM or phone if you want to call by.my new phone settings are stopping me posting pics, i'll try again later.

69bug

Bugless
Club Member
Trev - If your bringing the babby with you, get the best stuff you can afford.
Probably nothing wrong with aldi/lidl/smiths stuff, but if 'twere me and my kid on the bike, I wouldn't be too comfortable with some no-name cheapass protective gear.
Always get new parts for a bike - no point fuckin around with welded skewers when a set of new qr ones can cost less than €20. Weeride type of seat is best. Forget trailers, they're a bitch offroad, kids too exposed on the road to drivers that don't give a shit and/or don't see them.
www.chainreactioncycles.com should have most of what you need and free shipping. Helmets are pretty reasonably priced there too.
While you're there, see what 7k can get you....
www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66784

I agree with Pox, get the best possible stuff available, especially with the babby on board. I use chainreactioncycles for stuff, speedy delivery with tracking number and free delivery...Weeride does look the best, and I've seen trailers used for kids and they just don't look safe on a public road, a park maybe, but not a road..

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
got the repair parts in the local bike shop today. Discovered the crank bearings were fucked too. I got this bike from my sister's boyfriend (at the time) the broken rear axle and wrecked crank bearings were because he's a fat ba$tard.

411guy, thanks very much. I'll take you up on one of those child carriers to try it out. If it doesn't suit I'll investigate the weeride further. I'll PM you to arrange collection :)

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
you must have a bigger head than me Deckie. :ROFLMAO:

I got an ALDI helmet today and it fits fine, I even needed to cinch up the adjuster to get it snug. Also got a seat for the bike, a cable lock and a set of LED lights for it. Got a wheel pump too, the two handled one you stand on the base of. Doesn't work straight out of the pack so that's going back tomorrow.

So now the bike is almost sorted, all repairs carried out with new parts. I just need to replace the cable guide for the crank gear shifter and make some final adjustments on the new gripshift to make sure it gets all the rear wheel gears. I'm going to do a bit of shopping around online and see if I can find a weeride shipped to me at a reasonable price and a helmet for the yungwan...

Last edited:

mintman

Club Member
Club Member
December 23, 2009
meath
while we re at it ill recmend these http://www.striderbikes.ie/index.html ,they are balance bikes for toddlers.my 2 year old has one and loves it.
flys around on it ,freewheeling feet up already .
the idea is that their balance improves and they should be able to move to a normal bike without needing stabilsers.

i raced in this the other night,first race(y)

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
bike mechanically sorted (except for one cable guide that needs to be replaced) helmets for everyone involved and a front-mounted baby carrier thanks to John 411man and we're good to go!

20120507_170140Medium.jpg

she f**kin hated it!! complained and whinged the full 10 minutes of the inaugural spin out and back. Hopefully next time she'll enjoy it more!!!