Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] 87 gti

biddlebop

Club Member
Club Member
November 8, 2010
westmeath
a mate of mine knows someone selling a 1987 gti for 900 black with leather black seats irish reg good condition stock origional pity dont have odds at mo to buy only problem is he wont sell to anyone bar my mate odd type of fella if anybody interested let me know ps cant get pics as my mate has no computer or camera/phone a real headwrecker to try and deal with but possibably worth it at that money ?:confused: i was talking to my mate and when the weather clears up he is going to take pictures with his sons phone and text them on to me and then i will text them onto numbers forwarded to me will have to post new thread as i cant reply to this tread as soon as i have more news

Last edited:

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I'd prefer an 8v over the 16v, less revvy, more a drivers cars IMO!! I'd love a pre 88 Irish reg'd Mk2 for a project but Ive too many on an the mo! If Baybus dosnt buy I'd be tempted, I could shift a Mk3 I have!

Its not woth alot these days, small bumper, early 2piece window doored Mk2's are not as popular as later cars! Ive bought and sold 1990 Mk2s for around 800 and seen several clean big bumper cars go for under a grand too! Mint high spec Mk2s are struggling to get 3k these days when they where fetching 5k.

Is it 3 or 5door, 5doors not worth alot either!!!

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
Don't think there was any 5 door GTIs in Ireland (??). The difference between a GTI and a regular golf is subtle so make sure you know what you are looking at. The back window is usually the fastest giveaway - the GTI had a black frame around the back window which very few copycats bothered to - eh - copy. They were also lower from the factory

SteveR

Club Member
Club Member
April 28, 2009
Knocklyon, Dublin
Plenty of 5 door Mk2 Gtis in this country, think you may be getting mixed up with the MK1. No 5 door Mk1 Gtis and they had the rear window thingy. The Mk2 had a spoiler on the top of the boot.

Mr Browne

Club Member
Club Member
October 24, 2006
Louth
Accept the 4 door - maybe it was USA that had none? Why would you want one is the next question!! Did the back window not have a frame on the MKII as well though? Like a black bit around the window?

SteveR

Club Member
Club Member
April 28, 2009
Knocklyon, Dublin
DSCF6813.jpg

Looks like your right about the window vinyl. Was never a fan of the more door Gti

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
Mine too! MkII Gti weren't as nimble as the Mk!'s but were still light and went well. Vert comfrtable and returned good fuel mileage. Drivetrain was bullet proof but window winders and door handles and every switch in the damn car would go out.

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
Drivetrain was bullet proof but window winders and door handles and every switch in the damn car would go out.
Funny I actually found the exact opposite to be true about my Mk2 golf. I went through 2 gearboxes in it, but no small things ever broke. That said, it was only a 1.3, not a GTI and I drove the stones off it, being a bit of a boy racer at the time.