Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Weight loss.

Lazy Dog

Club Member
Club Member
October 14, 2008
Maghermore, Wicklow.
www.lazydays.ie
640kg is next to near nothing! 714kg is still very good, can you offset any of the proposed weight gains (assume traction bar and bits or are you thinking of attacking the pies..) with some more weight loss i.e. drilled door inners, etc?

I was amazed at the difference throwing a few things out of the 356 made to my times e.g. spare wheel, heavy toolbox, etc. I was kicking myself at the end of the day though when I figured out how much weight in fuel I was carrying. The fuel gauge bounces all over the place so I kept brimming it everytime we had a stop. With a 55L tank I worked out I was carrying nearly 40kg in fuel alone, might have been able to shave another couple of hundredths of a second off if I was running on fumes :D

Imagine what the paint alone must weigh.......!!

Strip the fucker back to bare metal............ you know it makes sense........ :D

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
To be added... Gearbox/Engine mounts. Roll Cage. Rear decklid an valance. Gauges. Possibly passenger seat/harness. Lid over gearbox access hole. Then I'd I want it road legal I'll need lights an door glass. I don't even have window rubbers now. Wiper mech too. Refit bottom too spare wheel well. Screen wash bottle, spare wheel for street.

I had always imagined having 2 rear valances, one drag/race an one road/rally but now that might evolve to the wings an doors too. Street able wings with lights attached. 2 sets of doors, one lightened with no regs (i still have window regs fitted) an a set of heavier doors with working windows.

There's also a lot of repairs to do yet to replace some else's bodged door pillars. The channels need replacing but will steel weight lighter than all the damp piles of dust currently there. Lots of layers of paint an filler to remove too before I go near the hole cutter.