Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] urgent brown log book

natian08

Club Member
Club Member
April 4, 2009
Cork
Offered the mk2 golf at a price I cant refuse. Apparently its on the old brown log book. Ive never bought a car on one before so what do I look for and how does the sign over process work?

chewy356

Club Member
Club Member
April 4, 2012
Meath (Ashbourne direction)
Just checked my Brown book and it says that if you buy then you take the book and fill in your name and address and send to local authority to have it stamped, but might need to go to Shannon theses days. Not sure on that. .

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Fill out the form, and the seller sends both off to Shannon. He might let you do it though.

mintman

Club Member
Club Member
December 23, 2009
meath
im not sure but ive heard of people going in to get it changed over to prevent them loosing the brown book

Kieran53

Club Member
Club Member
October 13, 2008
Cork
Just send it off to Shannon and they will send it back to you.

Also, stick a note with it telling them not to put a big dirty white sticker on it that makes shite of the book if you try to take it off. They did that with the book from my 53 with a sticker with my name & address on it. Fuckin muppets!

gerryjunior

Club Member
Club Member
April 17, 2011
tipperary
i changed a brown log book for the beetle lately , no big deal. fill your name in the book, use the old type change over form rf type and the seller posts it to shannon, brown book was posted to me ten days later..

Greatballsoffire57

Club Member
Club Member
February 2, 2008
Laois
I think the brown log books are sent to the local motor tax office with the RF200 form. Not to Shannon. That's what I did with the log book of my beetle when I was selling it to gerryjunior.

biddlebop

Club Member
Club Member
November 8, 2010
westmeath
just go to local tax office with rf200 form for pr 93 vehicles only they will change ownership there and then for you or just fill in the book yourself along with rf200 and fire it in the window at them and tell them its yours baby if she is good looking if not grin and they will smile? and ask do you want to tax it after that you can tax it or off road it the choice is yours and best of luck with the wheels

natian08

Club Member
Club Member
April 4, 2009
Cork
Just if anyone else was wondering yes it went off to the local tax office and not shannon and was back fairly quick.They already put a big stupid sticker on for the last owner so mine just went over that.I like the way you can see where the car has been around the country and all the different owners.Thanks for the replies.
Ian