Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Tyre size / gearing.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
For the Drag Day I sent Mick off to get some cheap rubber to get us going. I told him to get some 195/65/15's an the best he came up with in that size were a pair of Pirelli snow tyres for €30 (an 2 Pirelli space saver 125/15 for €10). the thinking behind the snow tyres was that they have softer rubber than normal tyres plus they'll do the T4 in winter! Drifter love em coz they smoke a lot.
Anyway we had a lot of wheel spin, an I don't know how much of that was tyres or the tranny mounts. Either way the car felt too low geared, pulling 4th very early. They don't look too tall either. We're thinking of 195/75's for the next day out. The box is a 72 1200, but I need to check the codes.

Opinions on sizes please...

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
If you were too low geared I'd look at a taller tire such as a 205 70 or 75 15", I was going to run a 6" slick on my car but am going with a 26.5" x 8" wide slick after seeing what the guys were running at the drags yesterday. If I can afford it I'll get some 6" slicks for my small engine. My goal is to have the smaller engine in the car as a loner car so others can enjoy an open car too.