Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Turbo Mounting Location

colin

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Monaghan
I'm now considering the Turbo Bug 2.0.

Where is the best place to mount the turbo?

There wasn't anything particularly wrong with where I located it the first time, but what I'd like to do ideally would be have the whole lot hidden under stock bodywork. If I can hide the turbo and all boost related items then I could have a stock looking engine bay with only a boost pipe going to the carb.

That would mean either fitting it under a rear wing, or above the gearbox.

Under the wing could work, but it would be exposed to dirt, muck and road debris, and could be tight for space.

Or, it could be mounted above the gearbox, it would be safer from dirt and stones but the rear parcel shelf might need cut to allow it to fit. The intercooler, rads and other bit and pieces could be mounted in the rear parcel shelf.

The problem I see is that the exhaust before the turbo would be fairly long, if it merges at the back of the car and then is routed to the front of the engine before the turbo. Would this be a big problem?

Anyone got any experience with this sort of install or any links with more info?, I'd appreciate the input

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
Colin, mounting the turbo up around the gearbox has its drawbacks, lag being one of them, thats a lot of pipework to sort and not easily serviceable.

Down by the wing is doable, but you must pull the intake feed to the turbo higher up, i.e engine bay or possibly form a naca duct in the rear window, which would mean getting the holesaw out.
The drawbacks for under the rear wing are mainly oil drain, you would definately need to run a deep sump, or you other option would be a secondary small sump below the turbo which is then pulled back into the case via a scavenge pump, my mate has this on his and it works well. again, its a clunky solution. You arent at the stage yet, where you have a handle on the tune of the car, get this sorted and know that it makes the power, run it for a bit and see how you go, there is no reason you couldnt get all you have under a decklid with standoffs anyway, worst case get an old decklid and if the turbo needs a cutout, fabricate one for now, then at least evrything is covered.

colin

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Monaghan
Thanks Ben.

Yeah, I don't want to run anything like a scavenge pump as it's extra hardware. I do want to keep things relatively simple.
Your right, I think if I can get the thing up and running again and change it afterwards.

Does extra exhaust length before the turbo generally amount to a more laggy setup?