Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] Late bay fuel gauge (1976)

robertg

May 14, 2013
Co Dublin
I think my fuel gauge is fried. I've replaced both the regulator and sender, but the needle stays buried. Does anyone have one for a late bay? It's the post-1973 type.

robertg

May 14, 2013
Co Dublin
Have you tested it? Earth the wire from it and the needle should go straight to "full". If it does then your problem is elsewhere.

Is this the wire that goes from the gauge all the way back to the sender? I think I did try grounding it and nothing happened, but this was a while ago. I'll try with a short length of wire and ground it to the dash.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
If you have access to the sender on the tank them you could try grounding it there and have someone see if the needle jumps. You've probably figured out it's a hoor to get to in the bay bus. Also try grounding it at the gauge end, if it works there and not the other end you've got a break in the wire somewhere.

robertg

May 14, 2013
Co Dublin
If you have access to the sender on the tank them you could try grounding it there and have someone see if the needle jumps. You've probably figured out it's a hoor to get to in the bay bus. Also try grounding it at the gauge end, if it works there and not the other end you've got a break in the wire somewhere.

Made up a test wire and grounded it off a few different places around the dash and the instrument cluster, no movement on the gauge unfortunately.

I'm beginning to suspect someone, possibly me, wired the gauge up incorrectly in the past. When I was looking at it at the weekend I noticed the 12v supply for the regulator was connected to the gauge, and the wire from the sender was connected to the regulator :(

This probably toasted the gauge as it's not designed to get the full whack from the van's electrical system (I believe this is what the regulator is for, a primitive surge protector).