Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Insurance

Robbie 123

Club Member
Club Member
February 14, 2021
Ireland
Hi All I just received my Beetle insurance cert in the post from campion insurance ( underwriters are FBD) I paid 160 and 30 for membership to IVETA. Is this an ok price for TPF&T I asked about fully comp but they don't offer it... I know it is to late to be asking for this year but just curious
Robbie

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
First Ireland do a comprehensive policy for around €200 plus or minus a few quid every year. Plus €25 for membership to Eircooled.

wackerwacker

Club Member
Club Member
November 24, 2009
waterford
Hi All I just received my Beetle insurance cert in the post from campion insurance ( underwriters are FBD) I paid 160 and 30 for membership to IVETA. Is this an ok price for TPF&T I asked about fully comp but they don't offer it... I know it is to late to be asking for this year but just curious
Robbie

I maybe wrong but I think you have a 30 days cooling off period with insurance just in case you change your mind :grin:

Kevinmadden

Club Member
Club Member
February 17, 2021
Ireland
Hi I'm new to this I payed the 25 membership through pay pal and I left a note with my name and address is that all I need to do cause my insh urance is looking for details from eircooled to prove I am a member

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Hi Kevin,

I'll attend to that this evening and email you a letter of confirmation that your insurer will accept as proof. Your welcome pack will follow by post. Thanks for your payment and welcome to the club BTW!

Trev

azikormaz

July 20, 2021
It is bad that such cars are getting in accidents. This is the history of the United States. The worst part of this is that no one would like to buy such a car, and I don't think that the owners would like to pay some additional money for insurance. I don't understand why the cars that have been in an accident need more money for insurance in the USA. I have read some articles about this on moneyexpert.com and still don't understand. In some accidents, the safety carcass isn't even deteriorated a little bit, so it is still a safe car.

Last edited:

rolheine

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2009
Dowra Co.Leitrim
I have since 2009 my insurance with First Ireland (since 2012 for a second car as well) but each year they seemingly forget that I am a member of Eircooled and charge at renewal time the full amount (insurance + full administration fee) and I have to remind them that there should be a reduced administration fee because of my Eircooled membership.. It happened again today.

So my question: how much is the reduced administration fee any of you insured with First Ireland is charged with currently?

On 19/02/2021 trev posted here that it is Euro 25.00 - I had to pay last year a seemingly incorrect rate of Euro 20.00, because I got this evening this message from First Ireland:
"The reason the current rate is higher than last year is the fact your insurers had not offered the correct rate on the eircool membership so your insurance had been cheaper than it should have been for the last few years."

But this year they now charge me not Euro 25.00 but instead Euro 30,13 - what do you pay as reduced administration fee?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
Hi Rolheine

I didn't state that First Ireland's admin fee was E25. I was pointing out that you add the E25 Eircooled membership fee to the cost of your car insurance if that's the only reason you're joining Eircooled.

But we all know you get more for your Eircooled Membership fee than just cheap insurance.

Honestly I don't know what First Ireland's admin fee is. Other than renewing my insurance with them every year I have nothing to do with them.

I hope you get the issue resolved to your satisfaction.

Trev

rolheine

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2009
Dowra Co.Leitrim
Hi Trev,

thanks for your reply.

it is easy to calculate the administration fee when you got your renewal notice:

usually on the first page the total amount you have to pay to First Ireland is written, but then some pages further on the insurance company proper (in my case AIG) states the amount of the insurance premium - so you simply have to subtract this amount from the total you have to pay and such got the administration fee First Ireland is charging you. (and I call this "administration fee" because years ago someone from First Ireland referred to the amount as that).

Somebody may wonder why I am bothering about this relatively small amount - it is actually not the increase by 50% what I now have to pay more (administration fee) in comparison to last year, and not the increase by 20% in comparison to the Euro 25 you posted, but the additional 13 cent which made me curious - why additional 13 cent?

Roland

Reactions: RattyOval

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
You can't compare anything to the E25 I mentioned, it's nothing to do with First Ireland. It's the E25 Eircooled membership fee and it hasn't changed in years.

I don't know the first thing about how the insurers calculate your premium or their admin fees.

rolheine

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2009
Dowra Co.Leitrim
Hi Trev,

thanks for this clarification.

But now my question remains: what are the members of Eircooled be charged by First Ireland re. "administration fee"? I would really like to know now.. Is it in each case the same amount?

Thanks,

Roland

rolheine

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2009
Dowra Co.Leitrim
Hi Trev,

it's not about my insurance premium - I have to take what they offer. But when there is a deal with First Ireland by Eircooled, would it not be important to know what the conditions are? And that they are the same for every member? I only want to know that it is not arbitrary (based on my experience over the years and the recent event). It is really not of importance at all - but still I am curious.

(For 30 years I now live in Ireland - but I have to tell you that from the beginning I was rather annoyed by insurers in Ireland, I brought my 79 VW bus with me, and in Germany I paid 120 DM a year for fully comprehensive cover, and suddenly a bit more than 1300 Irish pound for the same van, and my no claim for 10 years was not accepted by the insurer, but that's beside the point)

Thanks, Trev

Roland

homik

Club Member
Club Member
August 16, 2021
Ireland
Hi Trev, another new member here. I joined yesterday, and transferred the €25 membership fee through PayPal. Can you please send me a confirmation email, when you get a chance? Thanks