Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

ferry discounts

sam

Club Member
Club Member
December 4, 2006
Kildare
Just wondering does the club have any discounts on ferries? Booking ferry for Wales for next weekend and its costing nearly 400e

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I've just come back from Wales and they sent me a "refer a friend" email that'll give the friend a 10% discount (Stena).

Wanna be my "friend" Kev? :ROFLMAO:

490938f7d922321fa975e80f86de0aff.jpg

PM me your email address :)

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
If you have an AXA Policy you can get 10% discount, even if it was the bug or daily.

I think you can still use discounts after that, so you could get 20% between that and Trev.

Rez

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2009
Kilkenny
Thanks lads. I got itchy fingers and booked before I got a response.

eh, no Trev, I'm grand. :looool:

Barnfind

Club Member
Club Member
August 5, 2014
Longford
I'm looking up ferries to France for June/July 2016, selecting similar dates to what we used in 2015, it's working out nearly twice the price of what we paid in 2015. I did check this out 2 months ago (prior to qualifying for Euro 2016) and the prices were inflated back then too!
Any ideas?

Barnfind

Club Member
Club Member
August 5, 2014
Longford
Thanks Trev,

I think my minds made up��

Irish ferries return to France €1032

Irish ferries return to UK €440
tunnel €285
diesel. €120
fatigue ....................... Priceless
total. Too much

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
Prices will definitely go up after the December 12th draw but the cabins will book up quickly and sleeping on a sofa, if you can find one!! for a 16 hour crossing wouldn't be nice!

We went with Stenaline Wexford/Cherbourg last July and their about the same still at the moment. If you book by February you get a free Dublin/Holyead crossing as well - which reminds me I must use that!!

I'd recommend Irish Ferries over Stenaline, I'm going to try Dublin/Holyhead - Portsmouth/Le Harve next time as it avoids London.

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
What's the quickest way to bring a van to France?
I've never taken a ferry to France before,but as far as I can make out it's a 16 hr crossing.
Is it quicker through the UK?I would be heading down the western coast to LaRochelle

Mikey

Club Member
February 3, 2009
Dublin
16 hour crossing from Rosslare to Cherbourg/Roscoff the overnight crossing doesn't feel as long as it is specially with the bar. I'd recommend Irish Ferries over Stenaline, Brittany Ferries are supposed to be great for kids but they sail from Cork.

The other option is Dublin-Holyhead then 6 hour drive to Folkestone for the Eurotunnel to Calais. You'll add about 4 hours driving by going Calais as it's further east although if your doing the D-Day landing spots/WW2 graveyards/ect it's great as you can slip down the coast to see all them and hit the A84 towards La Rochelle - try stop in Nantes.

I didn't think their was much in La Rochelle TBH, but found a great island just five minutes away from La Rochelle called Île de Ré. Make sure to bring bicycles though!

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Thanks Mikey,great info there.We're hoping to head to La Rochelle to one of those eurocamp parks,so would be using there as a base.Don't think I'd get to Normandy etc as that would be pure self indulgence,and we'd have the two kiddies with us.I hope to bring the (converted) van,just cause I can, also it will be ideal for daytrips etc.La Rochelle is roughly 6 hrs from the ferry port,so far enough down ,especially with two rugrats on board.Just googled Iie de Re,and it looks fabulous. Missus will love that shit..;)