Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Drag Day 3......... a personal reflection..........

Lazy Dog

Club Member
Club Member
October 14, 2008
Maghermore, Wicklow.
www.lazydays.ie
We'd had a torrid few weeks with the business leading up to DD3, we were plagued with issues and breakdowns with the aircooled fleet to the point where we were considering not going. Sue left me the '58 free for the week leading up to the meet so that I could prepare a bit better than last year but two rescue trips to West Cork and a series of other annoying issues put the mockers on that plan! Anyway, we decided that doing a no show just wasn't in the spirit of the event and certainly wouldn't make us feel any better, so I belatedly fitted the engine and took him for a few rips around the block, borrowed a trailer from Rocky (thanks Michael) and set off for on Friday with the intention of stopping the night at Castlebellingham services with the rest of the convoy!! We rolled in at half nine a little surprised to find we were the first, and it stayed that way until we were rudely awakened by Padraig and Trev nattering away at 6am, in fairness to Trev he had arrived later that evening, still don't know what happened to the convoy tho'............ :D
Made it to the track nice and early Sat morning, unloaded the bus, looked at it, decided there was bugger all I could do now so sat back and watched the rest of the activity.
Qualifying started at 11am it was windy but thankfully dry! At this point I should add that my one 'upgrade' was to buy a CSP shifter, however............ I bought the 'early bus' shifter, the correct one for my bus only to find that when I went to fit it that at some point during the buses life a late bay front shift rod had been welded on! My shifter ball and shift rod cup were a total mis-match but seemed to be working ok the few times I tried it. How wrong was I, we really struggled with finding third with any consistency and was evident in our times. I ended the day with a 17sec pass and Sue managed an 18.
Pissy shitty weather ensued Sat night but it soon brightened up Sun morning with a fair headwind blowing down the track again. I 'Gunthered' a repair on the shifter by using an HT lead cap (dissy end) trimmed to fit over the ball of my shifter, it seemed to work really well until my S/F run against a Golf when I completely missed 3rd heard the revs ping up to God knows where and blew it good and proper. Bus was running rough on the return road so I thought I'd broken the engine. Turned out I'd blown the plug cap off number 3 cyl popped it back on and eveything seemed good. Pressure was off now so we waited for the finals to finish and the 'free' session to start, strangely the bus was now happy to find 3rd every time, go figure, and our times started improving, to cut a long story short I banged out a 16.69, I was elated! Sue was having real trouble launching but she got into the 17's her best being a 17.3............... until, she nailed a launch and gave the bus death........ It was obviously quick, Ben had great delight in announcing that Sue had beaten me in my own bus! Sue did a 16.66!! Awesome, awesome drive from a total novice who was quaking in her boots at the mere thought of taking the bus down the strip, anyway lads, she's the one to beat!
So, it was an epic weekend, the two day format is a complete winner and really makes it all a bit more relaxed, I hope it is retained for all the future events!
What we do need tho' is more buses out there, so come on you bus boys and girls get planning and lets see you out on the track in 2016. For me....... well the '58 gets retired from the 'work' fleet next year and will have much lightness added........... I'm going Beetle hunting............ :D
Finally I just want to thank all the organisers behind the event, you all work so hard to make it what it is and I thank you, however I think a special mention needs to go out to Ben, you are so busy thanking and 'bigging up' all those around you that I think you sometimes get over-looked, but Ben, your enthusiasm, knowledge and humour are the essence of this event and dare I say without you on the mike it would be a rather dull affair, your willingness to help is unsurpassed, your obvious joy at seeing people do well and your commiserations when not doing so well are sincere and heart-felt, so thanks Ben........... what a guy!!............ :D

That's it, ta for reading this far, roll on 2016..........!!

Cheers,

Pat.

kvinyl

Club Member
Club Member
February 20, 2007
Galway
sniff...I'm all misty-eyed now..... :D

Nice one Pat, t'was great to see ye banging away at it all weekend, the highs, the lows...the utter shock when Sue bettered your time... :p

Rocky

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2008
North Wexford
For anyone that doesn’t have time to read Pats lengthy post it can be summarised as follows:

1) He had a good time but is pissed that Sue beat his time
2) He would like to thank Ben for making him feel better when Sue beat his time
3) He wants more (read slower) buses to come along next year so he can beat them
4) He is looking forward to 2016 because Sue will be driving a beetle
;)

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
I must say Pat, when I watched Sue launch she nailed it! I saw her on one of the " soup stirring" 3rd gear shifts but she really did a splendid job of it. T"was nice to catch up with you again.

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
Delighted for you getting into the 16's fella.. That's a hell of an achievement in a bus. I'll definitely make next year in ours... Unlikely I'll be fighting for 15's with you, but who knows ;) ...