Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Circuit Racing and Hillclimb Beetles.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
I've been trawling the Internet lately for information on good track prepped bugs, it's hard to get detailed information but there is a lot of people racing them an their not all 1303's either which is what I want to see.

I've just stumbled across the Copa Fusca and this guy Wessler Racing but so far I can't find a website but he seems to build mean race beetles.

This is his coolest...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.793694037312911.1073741838.100000169661793&type=3

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I know it's an '03 but it sure is purposeful!!

rob%20judge_vw_beetle.jpg

Lazy Dog

Club Member
Club Member
October 14, 2008
Maghermore, Wicklow.
www.lazydays.ie
I've been trawling the Internet lately for information on good track prepped bugs, it's hard to get detailed information but there is a lot of people racing them an their not all 1303's either which is what I want to see.

I've just stumbled across the Copa Fusca and this guy Wessler Racing but so far I can't find a website but he seems to build mean race beetles.

This is his coolest...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.793694037312911.1073741838.100000169661793&type=3

Oh, yours is a '54......... I'll be around in ten minutes with the spanners and lump hammer to start the conversion.......... :D

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
realistically, how much can you do with a beam front end? the biggest drawback is the lack of camber gain when cornering, the 1303 wins out there. I see yer man's oval above, he's introduced a lot of camber to make allowances for that.

HD front anti-roll bar, coilover shocks instead of torsion bars, urethane ARB bushes, extra-camber eccentrics, what else can you do? Even less with a K&L front end. Trekker-style beam strengtheners maybe...

Likewise for the rear. IRS would be an absolute minimum: 944 rear anti-roll bar, 944 torsion bars or ditch them and go with coilovers & adjustable spherical joint spring plates.

the front is the weak link though unless you do what whatucolm did and build up a double wishbone setup.

I'd be interested to see what you've found in your research Tsar...

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Isn't the combo of torsion front and an irs rear the making of a really good handling car?
HD anti roll bars front and rear with bilsteins or similar would be a good starting point I'd imagine

chewy356

Club Member
Club Member
April 4, 2012
Meath (Ashbourne direction)
I remember reading a kind of blog from a guy in Australia who recorded all the subtle changes he made over a number of years racing. It may have been a 130 though. Will have a look when on a computer.

Dirty1

Club Member
Club Member
November 22, 2006
Wicked-low
www.dirtyhabits.ie
Trev, I'm going to throw all my links in here so it's an easy place for me to track them down again. I haven't gone into any detail yet but ivejust been chasing up beam suspension cars first of all. It's easy find 03' as there's Renn Kafar cars an Rally/Rallycross cars but I've been really impressed with some of the beam suspension race cars, there's a lot of videos around. There's a lot of bugs in use in hill climbs too. The car above uses a beam an all the Copa Fusca cars are 1600 and are either running type 3 solexs or ICTs but are apparently putting out 115hp

Kevin O'Brien

Club Member
Club Member
February 18, 2008
Dundalk/Dublin
There are some seriously beefed up rear ends on these Remmele chassis. The only front end pic is pretty much exactly as Trev detailed above. I'm assuming those vertical tubes on the silver chassis are for air jacks.