Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

72 Beetle for sale. Needs engine work

B

bugmonkey

I am looking to sell my 1972 VW Beetle. It is a 1300 (with a 1600 engine in it) in the original colour of Texas Yellow.

I'm Scottish so it is registered in the UK but being 35 years old i think i am correct in saying it is free from VRT. The car is at my work, the N6 site office in Ballydangon, 10km west of Athlone.

Good Points

-Adjustable front beam and wider tyres give it nicer handling and a nice look (IMO)
-Disk brakes front and back so it stops nice and quickly
-Eberspacher Heater under bonnet connected to air vents under windscreen means it gets warm and demists quickly
-The engine has twin Weber 34ICTs and a 4-into-1 exhaust so it is no slouch compared to most beetles
-It passed the UK MoT in October so you can be reasonably confident that it is nice and safe and nothing major is going to drop off. I was using it on a daily basis until 2 weeks ago, when the engine went on it - which brings us nicely to:

Bad points

-The engine needs a bottom end rebuild. One of the main bearings in the engine is not getting lubrication so needs cleaned and replaced. I don't have anywhere to do this so that is the main reason for selling. The engine will run but only for 5 or 10 minutes before overheating. There is no endfloat
-The paint is looking grubby and tatty in the photos thanks to the lousey weather but with a wash and T-Cut will come back to a nice shine. There are areas that need painted, such as the back right wing, the lower half of the back left quarter, and a stone chips on the front wings and patches above the engine bay but I have a couple of spray cans of paint that match nad you can get more. Paint code L10B ;)
-The bottoms of the doors are rusty
-There is a tear in the drivers seat that is covered in gaffer tape
-The passenger window doesn't wind up and down properly
-The heater channels have been plated over and welded to the chassis and some point in the past
-The Brazilian Chrome bumpers are showing rust though. Normally I would polish them with a brillo pad but I don't have any here

2281026877_4e1f55c452.jpg

2281819402_08a3425be7.jpg

2281820926_7c88e10367.jpg

2281030789_0f4ce08253.jpg

It is hard to put a value on a non-runner like this, especially since there seem to be so few Beetles in Ireland but I am looking for about 1400 Euros but make me an offer. Less without some of the nice bits. My phone number is 0871244852

B

bugmonkey

Yeah, it's a real shame to let it go. I have really enjoyed owning it for the last 2 an a half years but I have been driving from Athlone to Kilkenny at the weekends to see my girlfriend and I'm not giving it as much time as it requires as a daily driver. Because it is such an unusual colour (by modern standards) i have had people step into the road in Dublin to take a picture of me as i drive towards them.

I've spoken to the engine rebuilder and it may not be as serious as I thought however if it is then the engine is still under warrenty so getting it fixed would be time consuming (post it to Sussex in England!) but would not cost anything.