Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] 71 earlybay tintop microbus

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
Hi,
I'm selling my 71 microbus, in order to 1) Buy an early Type3 squareback and 2) Free up some funds to get on with restoring my Splitty

It's a Cali import, which I bought in 2008 from John at Krazy Kombis (it was a Keift & Klok bus, and John is their Irish Agent)

The bus is very solid and mechanically in great order - John gave it the complete Krazy Kombis treatment when it arrived, and sorted brakes, cleaned fuel tank, fitted new shocks etc etc etc

It had a problem with 4th gear, so we fitted a spare bus gearbox we had, and this is perfect.

It has its original 1600 single port engine, which is fine and pulls great, but if I was keeping the bus I'd send it to Caddy for a makeover - he's the engine guru in Ireland and for a few hundred quid, it would be like new - EDIT: I've replaced the engine now with a solid low-mileage rebuilt engine

There is no major rust on this bus, as you'd expect for a Cali import which has been garaged when not being used since arriving in Ireland - there are a few cosmetic scabs which I've yet to tidy up on one side of the bus ( I sorted the front and rear and one side panel, but haven't got round to the passenger side yet.

The underneath and cavities have been treated with the Dinitrol range of products - about £400 quids worth of this stuff - much better than the standard Waxoil stuff and will keep her safe from the excesses of our weather for years to come

The interior is clean and original, but if you're a perfectionist, it needs new seat covers - available from TMI and other suppliers.

It's a 71, which is widely held as the best of the baywindow years - you've got the earlybay styling (low indicators at the front, late splitty lights at the rear etc), but with the benefit of the late bay improvements like front disc brakes, and it's a tintop - the nicest of all buses imho
smiley.gif

I've kept this as a microbus as it's the most practical of all the buses - a camping interior is too heavy for lugging around for daily driving - this way you've got seating for 8 people, but I fitted Z-Bed hinges to the rear seat so it folds into a full width double bed for camping... I just do my cooking in the driveaway awning (I have the mahoosive JK awning which I could be persuaded to part with as part of the deal).

So, she's ready to go for the summer festivals, and I know I'll regret parting with her, but I really want to get cracking on sorting my Splitty, so needs must.

Loadsa pics, and a price to follow later today
smiley.gif

Last edited:

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
Update - officially For Sale

Update - officially For Sale

pics... If you need any close up pics of any part of the bus, just ask

DSC_4215.JPG

DSC_4216.JPG

DSC_4220.JPG

DSC_4219.JPG

DSC_4230.JPG

DSC_4221.JPG

DSC_4223.JPG

DSC_4231.JPG

DSC_4232.JPG

DSC_4233.JPG

Price is €8500 - recessionary price for such a clean bus :)
Located in south Co Monaghan - 1 hr from Dublin on the M1

Last edited:

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
Have done the monday millions lotto... fingers crossed..

Good luck with sale our kid...

d

Cheers D, your offer of the 1302 and your first born child is under consideration, but I reckon she's too cantankerous, prone to hissy fits, she leaves a mess behind her, and for that reason, I'm out
(the bug that is, not the babby) ;)

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
Are you sure it's a single port engine? 71 should have a Dual port with 71 only breastplate for the offset cooler and the intake manifold with the 1/2" port to run the power brakes. It very well could be a 1600Sp and would work just fine, I like a Sp in a Bus, heads are less prone to cracking. Nice Bus! I just noticed that's a Bench seat so could with the right middle seat be a 9 Passenger Bus. Kinda rare without the walk through.

Last edited:

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
Hi Britt - yes it should have the full width middle seat for correctness - it was missing when I got the bus so I just picked up the 2/3 seat - I find it leaves more room in the back, and I haven't needed the 9th seat yet :)

I'm sure about the single port engine - I guess it was a replacement at some stage then - as you say, the sp engine is a good bus engine, with a bit more torque, and a bit less higher end revving (not really needed in a bus).

Again I'm 99.9% sure there's no servo - it does have the regulator for adjusting the brake pressure between the front discs and the rear shoes -I'll have a crawl around under it later to take a few more pics.

After decoding the M Plate, it seems the reason for the lack of servo might be this: the bus was not originally manufactured as a US export model (which had the servo as standard for the 71 model year), but was intended to be sent to Hildesheim in Germany (where servo brakes were still an optional extra).

I'm thinking that it might be because the 9 seater model was so rare in the US, where the walkthrough seems to have been the norm, that somehow, this one got sent to the US on special order or something?

Jeez, I've become an M Plate nerd :eek:

Anyway, this is what the m plate decoding site said

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(5) :
- Microbus
- 9 seater (arrangement 3-3-3)
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 2212144556
Serial number 144 556
Modelyear 1971
Planned production date Wednesday, 10 February 1971
Number for production planning (temporary serial number) 7250
Type of engine Type 1 (AD) - 1584cc, 37 kW (50 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color L53D - Niagara Blue
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 40 - Black Leatherette
Destination Germany, Hildesheim

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
Ok - not exactly a flood of enquires yet - it's hardly the best economic time for bus selling but I'm sure it'll sell at some stage.

Just to clarify a couple of things

- The engine is fine and can be driven as is with no worries - just that it would be prudent to give it a new set of bearings at this stage ...the bro noticed a slight knocking under heavy revs that point to wear in the main bearings.
- EDIT now fitted with a good replacement engine- look around at the prices of buses needing 'a bit of welding', and 'some mechanical work' - and you'll see this is a very decent price for a dry state US bus in this condition, and with fresh brakes all round, good commercial rated tyres, sorted transmission, CV joints, gear selector, steering, electrics, the aftermarket oil temp / pressure and rpm gauges, the rustproofing and the dozens of other jobs undertaken since I got it, the bus is ready to go anywhere with no worries
- I'll be posting better pics at the weekend, but if you'd like any hi-res photos of any areas of the bus, just ask :)

Last edited:

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
Ok I've edited previous posts, as I've decided to get the engine rebuilt before the sale, with the price staying the same!
Surely there is some interest in a sorted Californian EarlyBay?

Edit: thanks for sorting the problem with posting replys Deckie (tried to PM you, but your Inbox is full)

Last edited:

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
OK, never sold the bus, but I'm in no rush to - had some interest, but not one person came to see it - tough times out there...

Progress is going great on the Splitty - my genius bro has been making all the chassis parts from sheet steel, but I still fancy a squareback, so I'll give it another bump and see what happens...

This is a dry state US bus - solid and sorted, and great value at the price.. it will only appreciate in value if looked after :)

edit: oh, it also got a brand new genuine VW windscreen seal since the ad went up, and when the window was out, the frame area was tidied, rustbulleted and resprayed in lovely matched Niagara Blue paint

Last edited:

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
Just bumping this thread, as I've put the bus up on Done Deal - it's been garaged when not in use, and is in the same condition as it was then.

I ended up not getting the engine rebuilt - pulled it and kept it as a spare and replaced it with one I bought on here, which was a low mileage rebuild - very solid engine..

I'm 1 hr from Dublin (20 mins from Dundalk) for anyone who'd like to see it and have a test drive...

Edit: the huge JustKampers awning which has a living room & 2 x 2 man tents will go along with the sale, plus whatever Early Bay spares I have lying around

Last edited:

Compleat Idiot

April 15, 2007
Furthur
Just wanted to add that I have a 12v diesel Eberspacher heater I got but never fitted, which I could be persuaded to let go as part of the deal - it was running fine when taken out of a Land Rover jeep.. will need new exhaust and glow plug I'd say, readily available on ebay...

Also, I forgot to mention that there's an automatic engine bay fire extinguisher fitted, and a good Sony stereo & speakers (the CD player is broke, but it has the aux input for ipod etc)..

Oh, and there's a full set of Thermo Mats for the windows

Last edited: