Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] 2.4/2.5 Engine for T4

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
Where is the best place to get a replacement 2.4/2.5 engine for a T4?

Not for me, a friend was asking as the timing belt broke in her van.. She needs to try get sorted asap as she uses it as her daily.

Any suggestions appreciated

thanks

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
...... also, anyone any experience with getting this done, ie; is it expensive/cost effective?.. She is also wondering should she just start looking for a different van if replacing the engine is going to cost thousands...

BLZEEDUB

March 1, 2007
tipperary
its a fairley involved job labour wise changing an 2.4/2.5 engine on a t4; I was told by a vw technician they used some type of bespoke 'engine cradle' to get the engine out - it'll be engine n box out together - no room in and around these lumps....

I took an engine n box out of a breaker t4 camper in a field before - we consawed a lot of the body out of the way, but it was still a right pig of a job!!

...so its going to cost a few quid labour wise, as its fairley involved; depends on the year of the van; cost of the engine replacement might outweigh the market value of the van - if its a camper, its possibly worth doing due to their higher market value...

56oval

Club Member
Club Member
September 10, 2007
n.i
pull the head off and check the damage if its only bent the valves you could get away with a reconditioned head, it may have snapped the camshaft, make sure the water pump didn't seize. This would be my first port of call before even looking at replacing the engine in full.

58Panel-Youny

Club Member
Club Member
November 26, 2009
wicklow
Cheers lads, I'll pass that info on.

Its a caravelle converted to a camper, with a 'rough and ready' interior, but it does have a full length pop-top too so replacing the van with similar could be pricey too...

If anyone has a t4 camper for sale I'll pass on details too. It certainly wouldn't need to be a show stopper... Her van gets used as a daily, and gets used as a camper/surf van as well as karting around muddy mountain bikes all the time..

BLZEEDUB

March 1, 2007
tipperary
friend was asking as the timing belt broke in her van..

theres actually two timing belts on the 2.4; the injection pump is driven off the back end of the cam (right hand side of the engine near the gearbox), and the 'engine timing belt' or main belt on the left hand side of the engine, as you look at it, with the bonnet open...

...It might be worth investigating which belt is gone; not unknown for the pump belt to break, as it often gets neglected or overlooked on timing belt replacement intervals...

...if its the 'engine timing belt' as 56oval says it might be worth whipping its head off, n checking 'valve to piston interface' damage... theres actually decent access to the engine when its in there, with the front panel/rad carrier unbolted n slid forward/taken off...

...sounds like its worth fixing if its a caravelle with a pop top; it can be hard to buy a decent t4 (as a replacement) theres often a huge gulf between shagged out n tired examples n clean well cared for oone, n the price often doesn't reflect these ie the tired ones can be 'overpriced' for what they are...

Lorcan

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2010
Dublin
I have replaced 2 of the 2.4s and although you can find a good replacement engine for around €350. By the time you replace all belts and water pump and the labour it's still well over a €1k by the time you have finished.