Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] wanted disc brake set up for 72 beetle

colm

March 19, 2012
Cork
anyone with a complete disc brake set up for sale . front and back
I wish to convert a 72 beetle that has drums all round to discs

littleredbeetle

November 11, 2006
cork
Not sure that it would be any advantage to put discs on the back. Even many of the later cars, golfs and polos for example retained drums on the rear until they introduced ABS on the more recent models. When you brake at speed most of the weight transfers to the front wheels. The rear brakes would probably lock up if you had discs on a beetle when hard brake pressure is applied.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Tony has discs all 'round on his beetle, but I'm not convinced of the benefits personally - wouldn't want the rears to lock up, and having drums creates an automatic front bias.

colm

March 19, 2012
Cork
Thanks for the advise . I will not be racing the beetle , I am only just starting to rebuild the car , I have only got the " CAR " up to new floor pans and am now starting on brakes and suspension .
I will definitely need to replace the body . its rotten thru and thru .
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING and thats half the fun !!!!!
the idea is to get the floor pans , suspension , brakes in order and then think of putting something body wise on it ??????
half thinking of a mad baja type thing .

colm

March 19, 2012
Cork
do you have a contact details for act , tried looking them up on line with no luck

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
do you have a contact details for act , tried looking them up on line with no luck

ACTeircooledAD01.gif

http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/rbs_banner.php?id=7&userid=33

411 guy

March 14, 2007
co clare
i have a complete set of balljoint front discs for sale. reconditioned calipers,new bearings and seals, hoses,backplates and discs on original stub axles,€450.

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
I'll hav e a complete stock Ghia set up as I'm taking the discs off of the new Race Ghia and installing drums. Discs have inheritent sp? drag and I don't want any drag in the race car.

colm

March 19, 2012
Cork
will the stock ghia set up just bolt straight on , how much would you be looking for the set up

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com
Yes a stock Ghia will just bolt on to a Ball joint front end. I won't compete with 411 Guy and I'm in Calif. so it would take a long time for me to ship it. Best to buy local in case something goes wrong. Good luck.

411 guy

March 14, 2007
co clare
I've no problem with colm buying from whoever, mine might seem pricey but theyre genuine vw calipers/backplates and stubs. Ill use them if they dont sell.