Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Parts] Wide 5 Early Bay Steels

British Leyland Man

June 28, 2009
Ballymena
Those of you who spoke to me at Oxo may be aware that I planned to put standard steels back on the van to replace the EMPI 5s. I found out to my cost that the disc conversion on the front of the van does not permit the fitting of standard steels and without time consuming (and costly!) modification to go back to drum brakes, my lovely new wheels will not fit! I thought to myself when I bought them, "What sort of dick would design a setup that wouldn't let you fit steel wheels?" Well, obviously there is one and his lovely enormous discs are on my van!!!

I had great trouble locating a set of wide 5s and had a set sent over from Cornwall. I had them sandblasted, primed and painted in VW Classic White, 4 new 195x14 commercial tyres fitted and balanced, new clips and rivets bought for the hubcaps and finally a new set of deep dish hubcaps - still not out of the plastic! So if someone is lucky enough to have a van that they'll fit, these are as new, ready to bolt on.

Now the hard bit. This was what I wanted for my van and so I didn;t think about money at the time at all. I hope Elaine doesn't read this but they have cost me in excess of £500 to get them sitting ready for action and since I can't use them now, I need to cut my losses and I'm open to offers.

If anyone is interested please get in touch, they're at a friend's house so I'll get a photo as soon as I can if anyone wants to see them. Please don't reply to my post with "Bl**dy h*ll they're dear" or words to that effect as I'm well aware of that, but I'm open to sensible offers and I plan to advertise them elsewhere shortly.

Many thanks.

knk

Club Member
Club Member
October 12, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
If you really want them that bad sell the Disc Conversion set-up and go back to drums.

or perhaps find someone who is willing to swap their standard set-up for your disc conversion? ;)

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
angle-grinder-.jpg

...sorry, couldn't resist....

big fella

October 21, 2008
Monaghan
Have you a photo of the conversion? How much clearance is needed to get them to fit. It might be possible to machine the od of the discs or is it a caliper rubbing of the inside of the wheel issue.
BF.

British Leyland Man

June 28, 2009
Ballymena
Hi there thanks for reply. AFAIK its a csp conversion and its a caliper fouling problem. The calipers are actually quite dinky as it is! Back to the drawing board! :D