Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

(Wanted) VW T2b Bay Window Westfalia

August 9, 2017
Hi all!

hope you are having a great week!

I'm Paddy, originally from the Black Forest, Germany, and living in Dublin now for 4 years. I have set my mind to buy a T2b campervan, Westfalia type until end of year, to tour it around Ireland and beyond. Got inspired by a friend of mine who does exactly that with his Vanagon T3.

I'm looking at an orange Westfalia posted by Krazy Kombis (https://www.facebook.com/Krazy-Kombis-191779657508399/), and wonder about two things:

Do you know a mechanic / experienced forum member who would be willing to look at the van with me, as I'm not a car expert? I'm happy to pay upfront an expert for an honest opinion rather than investing in repairs afterwards
Secondly, if you know about others willing to sell their Westfalia in sound condition, please give me a shout :) My total budget incl. repairs is 20k, and I'm more inclined to trust the people here than the ads on Donedeal or Gumtree...

Thank you in advance and happy Tuesday!

Paddy

Reactions: andrew

Brian Raftery

Administrator
Admin
October 25, 2006
Kiltimagh Co. Mayo
Krazy Kombis import all there westfalias from the USA and fully restore them before selling them on. The guy there is John and he is a member of Eircooled and a well respected campervan trader you won't go wrong buying one of his vans.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackforest.paddy
August 9, 2017
Hi Brian and Roadcow, thank you for the conformation, I went to Kilkenny to see John's vans, but decided against the two he has currently on display. It was great meeting him, really friendly and helpful!

My mind is still set on a T2b, so if any of you in the forum have recommendations or do know people who sell, I'm very happy about recommendations!

Warm wishes

Patrick

August 9, 2017
Hi all, hope you're all well :)

I'm going to be looking at two vans over the weekend, both advertised on DoneDeal - wonder whether you can give some advice on either ads:

a) 1969 pop-top conversion originally imported from UK, located in Dundalk: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1969-vw-type-2-baywindow-campervan/16177237
b) 1973 tin-top Arizona import Campmobile from Thomas (does wedding hires & restorations) in Clonmel: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-baywindow-van/15769171

Both seem in good enough condition.

Thank you for your opinions!

Paddy

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I don't know either van personally but the orange one would be my choice going on the photos. The only thing going against it is the lack of standing height that the blue one has. Arizona import would always impress me more than a UK import but I suppose if both were FULLY restored then you should be starting from an equally solid base. I'd want to see extensive photo evidence of the resto though and check both thoroughly for filler and bodges. The orange one, being US spec and a later model probably has servo brakes too. plus it's 25% cheaper than the blue one.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
FFS!! Having no luck uploading this screen shot from my phone so here it is linked.

Don't know the van or its owner but might be worth a look

TF9rjjG.png