Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Karmann Ghia heated front screen

Ger

Club Member
Club Member
December 8, 2006
Ennis
Karmann Ghia heated front screens.

This sounds a bit like 'Billy Connollys' perscription windscreens for glasses wearers.

Are they available in 6V LOL

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
Just an update on the situation as of today, Monday 14th Jan.......

Ricky Evans has asked that people direct any queries through myself. This way, he will not get confused about who he is dealing with.
He will not sell you a screen privately ; only as part of this group purchase

I can be contacted by pm on any of the forums, or email david at sum-it.biz , or you can text or phone me on ++353 877535282

The manufacturer has measured the tool used to make the screens, and the actual height is 432mm (exactly 17 inches). This means that it is the glass for later KGs (July 1966 ? 1974). You will have to use the later style seals with the T-shape insert trim to get a proper fit. According to Rick, the 17 and a half inch screens (for early ghias) are not made anymore.

The screens are made from triplex laminated glass, with the 12 volt tungsten filament element sandwiched between the laminates. (practically invisible)

Someone had a query about the thickness of the screens. They will be 5.4mm thick. Original factory fitted screens were 5.8mm on late ghias, so the 5.4 is the nearest we can get.

As it stands, we have seven / possibly eight people interested, so we only need a few more.

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
I'm now thinking we should go for the 6.8mm glass.

Here is why.....

1. In the name of science, I cut my own original 1972 screen rubber and measured the glass. It has the VW logo on the glass. It measures exactly 17 inches high, and it is 6.8mm thick.
  2. The new (proper quality) rubber seals that house of ghia sells are 6.7mm, so this should ensure a tight fit.
  3. Alcad has a 1967 ghia with a 6.8mm thick screen.
  4. Mike at House of Ghia measured some screens for me and they were 6.8, except for a 1974 screen which was thinner

From the above info, I can only guess that sometime between 72 and 74, screens changed to a thinner glass. Might not be any pattern to it though!

If anyone has any more thoughts on this, please post! :cool:

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
Ok all, its time to get this order into production.

We have 11 orders (possibly 13).

Just to recap, this is a 17" high, 6.8mm thick heated laminated front screen for Karmann Ghias, with an 'invisible' tungsten heating element sandwiched between the laminates, 12 volt, triplex glass. It takes Rick 8 weeks to make them, from the order date.

Price is sterling ?165(screen) + ?40(postage within UK) = ?205 total incl. VAT, or else pick up directly from Ricky and avoid the postage cost.
If it was up to me, I'd get everyone to pay Ricky directly.
However, after consulting with Ricky Evans Motorsport, the following is the way that he wants to do it.

1. People send a deposit of ?100 to me (David McAdam), along with your contact details and shipping address
  2. I will then wait until I have received at least ten deposits (I will post on the forums when I receive each payment)
  3. If I don't receive at least ten deposits by 28th Feb 08, I will send the money back to everyone.
  4. If I do receive enough deposits, I'll forward the deposits to Ricky, along with everyone's contact/shipping details and he can commence manufacture. At this point, you would lose your deposit if you back out, unless we can get someone else to take your place.
  5. When Ricky is ready to ship the screens, everyone must send the balance of the payment to me (David McAdam) and I will forward to Ricky. Remember, the balance of the payment depends on whether you're collecting it yourself, or getting it shipped.
  6. On the day that you receive the screens, check for any damage or breakages. They must be reported to Rick on that day in order to get it replaced free of charge.
To send me your deposit of ?100 sterling:

1. Organise a sterling draft or postal order for ?100, made payable to Ricky Evans Motorsport and send it to David McAdam at the address below, (not directly to Ricky Evans Motorsport).
  2. Please include your full name, your online user name, your full shipping address, email address and phone contact number.
David McAdam
Corvally
Carrickmacross
Co. Monaghan
Republic of Ireland
Mobile (from UK): 00353 87 7535282
Landline (from UK): 00353 42 9691725

Note: I've decided against accepting Paypal or personal cheques. This is mainly because its too easy for cheques to bounce or for people to withdraw a paypal payment after it has been sent. Also, because I live in Ireland, it would cost me a pretty penny in exchange rate charges.

I hope this doesn't cause people too much inconvenience 8)

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
To solve the problem of people having to pay bank or post office charges, I WILL accept personal cheques as well as POs or STG drafts.
It may just mean that we'll have to wait a day or two longer for the cheques to clear. If some of the cheques bounce, then I propose we just wait until we find another customer to take that person's place. Remember to make the cheques payable to RICKY EVANS, but post them to me.

Hope this solves the problem :cool:

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
So far, here are the deposits received:

David McAdam (boat_builder) x 1 (me)
Padraig (ghianightmare) x 1 [DEPOSIT RECEIVED 28/01]
Dave (dcadwallader) x 1 [DEPOSIT RECEIVED 28/01]
Edb27 x 1 [DEPOSIT RECEIVED 28/01]
Peter Sorrell x 1 [DEPOSIT RECEIVED 30/01]
Ian Godrey x 1 [DEPOSIT RECEIVED 04/02]

Everyone else, PLEASE can you send the deposits ASAP. We need to get this thing sorted and strike while the iron is hot. If we get ten deposits and ther is no response from the others who haven't paid, we can go ahead without them.

Everyone who hasn't paid yet, please can you contact me to let me know what the situation is with the deposit.

Thanks

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
Just an update as of today, Friday 8th Feb. I've received seven deposit cheques, with two more confirmed as 'in the post', so we're now waiting on the rest of ya (see below) to let me know what the story is with the deposits. If any of you have changed your mind, thats ok too, just let me know. Thanks all.

Frozentoast
dormo69
Big Gay Al
Fran (Rusty Dubnuts)
Russ (Russtysplit)
flat4fanatic

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
Friday 22nd Feb is the last day that people can put their names down for a screen.
The order will go in on Friday 29th Feb, so that will give any remaining people a chance to get their deposits in on time.

Thanks to everyone for being so prompt with sending the deposits. 8)

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
Note to everyone:

Two days to go until the order goes in on Friday after my postman comes.

If theres a problem with sending the deposit or if you don't think I will get it by Friday, email, pm, or phone me to let me know whats going on.

If I don't hear from you, and your deposit doesn't arrive by Friday, sorry but I'll have to take you off the list.

Hope everyone understands, but its only fair to those that have paid up since a month ago.

boatbuilder

July 21, 2007
Monaghan
one.xthost.info
The order went in today for 15 screens.

Next thing I will do is pm/email everyone to let you know how much is left to pay, based on your shipping arrangements etc.
Same arrangement as before, send me a cheque/postal order payable to Ricky Evans Motorsport.

Your screen won't be dispatched until you send the full amount, so the sooner the better really. Ricky originally said a lead time of 8 weeks; if theres any change to that, I'll let you all know.

So, sit tight and I'll pm / email you.