Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Anyone cutting up a beetle

irishtrains2730

February 21, 2008
mallow
I’m after a small section from the A pillars. A previous owner replaced the lower hinge panels and used the whole panel but it is now rusty at the top so looking for a section a couple inches to add in

BLZEEDUB

March 1, 2007
tipperary
You could buy another Lower A pillar repair panel and use the top 3 or 4 inches to patch the rusted area, if you don't facey bending up a panel _ should be "more or less" the profile needed tas the cheap ones always need some tapping about with anyways

irishtrains2730

February 21, 2008
mallow
You could buy another Lower A pillar repair panel and use the top 3 or 4 inches to patch the rusted area, if you don't facey bending up a panel _ should be "more or less" the profile needed tas the cheap ones always need some tapping about with anyways

I didn’t think of that but money is very tight anyway :(.
I have a sheet of 1.2mm steel here so I guess I’ll try make my own bit
But thanks for idea.

Tim

Club Member
Club Member
March 11, 2007
Midlands
www.boards.ie
1,2 mm is a lot heavier than what panels are available, so they might need a bit of force to get nice sharp contours. Original spec is .8-1mm if I'm not mistaken, but open to correction on it. I found 1.2 was ok for gradual bends formed, but needed force and a former to get a nice sharp bend.

irishtrains2730

February 21, 2008
mallow
1,2 mm is a lot heavier than what panels are available, so they might need a bit of force to get nice sharp contours. Original spec is .8-1mm if I'm not mistaken, but open to correction on it. I found 1.2 was ok for gradual bends formed, but needed force and a former to get a nice sharp bend.

I know what you mean. In my metal folder they are more curved but I have a couple of bits of
Truck chasss bolted together that give sharper edges.

Reactions: Tim