Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Swaps : Mk1 Golf GTI or Merc 190E ?

dealgan

There aren't many cars I'd consider swapping the Bug for... but I can see myself in a Mk1. I'm sure it's even more fun to drive too.

Fun Fun Fun.
Very very quick. I never found the limits of cornering. It just seems to go where you point it. No questions asked. Any speed, wet or dry.
I can't explain it. If you drive it, you WILL want it. No question.

I remember having a quick drive down a local back road, after having it on axles stands for 6 months or so, sorting the suspension. I couldnt stop grinning ofr at least a week. Simply Fantastic.

The original "hot hatch".

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
Who'se Dell Boy now? :ROFLMAO:

By the way, can anyone tell me what these wheels are and where can I find a set... roughly how much would they be for an average set second hand?

Attachments

• Wheels.jpg
    Wheels.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 56

Rocky

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2008
North Wexford
BBS split rims, in that condition €1,000+ i'd say?

Sad to see your considering off-loading the bug but if you go for a mk1 you will not regret it, i've had a few, they are great little cars!

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
you can buy replicas of those rims new for half that price. granted, they're one piece and heavier than the BBs but they look well and I'd rather kerb a replica than an original!!

look up Lenso BSX on ebay...
15" lensos:

25-07-09wedding085Medium.jpg

16" lensos:

P1300018.jpg

dealgan

No, No, No.

The Pirelli P-slot wheels on the Mk1 are iconic, and very sought-after.
(Yes, the correct campaign wheels, not the later ones which have different spacing vetween the slots)

Mine ones even have all 4 original Pirelli centre caps, which are even rarer.
(Yes, the original ones with the raised Pirelli lettering)

They would sell in a flash if you didnt like them, but they are part of what makes a campaign edition special.

Last edited:

kongomush

*****youlater
Club Member
November 24, 2008
Dublin
I actually love the wheels that are on it but the BBS are on the Mk1 that's been in my head since I was a kid...