Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

79 Bay Dormobile project

Pete McC

For the last three years I've worked on restoring this and now I've come to the sad decision to move it on. Since I've got it I've replaced all the gutters, the rear driver's corner, the passenger side sill and both front arches, I've also done various repairs to the front panel and it's been on it's side and been totallly waxoyled underneath. I could list all the little repairs that I've done around it but I'd be here all night and you'd be bored so I'll leave it to whoever views it to show them.

Ok so the good bits about the van, It's a 1979 ex panel van with twin sliding doors, side windows fitted, mains hookup wiring and a Dormobile roof conversion, although it's an unusual roof with three glass windows instead of the normal 2 + 2 vents. I have brand new hinges for this (which cost £50) and a good s/h bellows. The van drives and the brakes work fine although could probably do with a check over before road use as it's been sitting for a few years. Interior wise I have a rock & roll bed and cooker unit for it as well as a set of grey leather front seats from a 1970's Ford or something.. other than that my plan was to build something from scratch. there's also 5 litres of yellow cellulose paint for it (jeans beetle colour, Tunis yellow I think) and a spare wheel frame for mounting on the rear bumper. (it has two good bumpers too)

The bad bits: It's not finished yet of course, it still needs a few patch repairs and sanded down and painted, main things not done are the rear passenger corner and rear valance and the driver's side sill. I have a sill panel but not the rear corner, however they're only about £24 from most sources and not the biggest job to fit if you can weld at all.

Well any questions fire away and I'll be totally honest with you about it. Price wise these vans typically go for £4k - £6k when finished (going by the ads in the back of Volksworld) If someone offers me £1500 for this one they can have it for that. there's not thousands needing spent on it so you should be able to get this van on the road pretty easily and be quids in. Time and money are not my friends at the minute otherwise I'd be finishing it myself and selling it for a lot more. The van is located near Lisburn, Co Antrim.
Any serious buyers can email me on p.mccarter(at)freeuk.com or call me on 077 866 866 19
here's some pics taken recently to give you an idea:

DSC01652.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

A

abrennan

This is right up my street but afraid the monies are not there unfortunately.

Good luck with the sale:)

A

abrennan

Spoke to my bud with trailer. Wednesday @ 7pm is good for him so we'll see you then. We'll follow you to ure place after and pick up the rest of the odds n' ends there. What size battery do I need to bring to get her going?