Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[Wanted: Parts] 1303 struts

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
Hi all,

Looking for a pair of slimline coilover struts for the 03(eg.kerscher,Topline,avo).Must be slimline to fit the bigger wheels under the arches.
I know they're pretty thin on the ground in Ireland,but if you have them clogging up space now is the time to get rid!!.;)

BTW its for the two bolt setup

Ta johnny

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
have you considered a pair of mk1 Golf/6N Polo coilover struts? There's tons of them cheap on ebay. The bolt spacing on the bottom clamp is slightly different but you could cut off the Golf/Polo clamp and weld on the 1303 clamp. The springs might be a bit hard because they're designed to carry the engine up front whereas the 1303 obviously has none but you could get softer springs off the shelf from Eibach or GAZ in the UK. You'd have to swap over the 1303 top mounts too but that's just nuts and bolts.

I know it's a bit circuitous but as you said, Kerscher are thin on the ground and f**kin expensive. You'd have a setup at half the price if you did a bit of spadework ;)

johnnyg

Club Member
Club Member
August 23, 2010
Athy
I've looked into this already Trev and got very mixed results from the guys on vzi.Whilst it can be done they reckon that the money saved after buying the golf struts,changed the inserts and springs probably isn't worth it,unless you happen to already have the parts.LA performance are doing avo's circa.420sterling and rob judge is slightly cheaper.Anyway I'm pretty new to this welding lark so I wouldn't dream of welding such a major safety area.I'll leave this thread for a few weeks and if nothing comes up I just may bite the bullet...

matara

Club Member
Club Member
May 17, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Another option from a guy I know in Australia called Richard Holzl that makes some nice stuff:-

products03-01.jpg

http://beetleracing.com.au/products.html