Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

[For Sale: Car] Low(ish) Milage Scobie donor in Cork - < €500

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
Its a nice looking car though at a quick glance I'd say that it has front end panel fit issues so I'd be checking for evidence of a heavy knock. Still, for the money its a lot of car - very capable on icy roads with the right tyres and with FSH there's some mechanical peace of mind

krissovo

Club Member
Club Member
August 9, 2010
Cork
The engine would not be in the same car...It would be in a tin top early bay and I would not feel any guilt.

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
If I were going to all the bother of a swap, I think I'd be setting my sights higher than 125bhp in fairness. I'm sure with an ECU remap and a few mods though, that engine could be made to put out more power all the same.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
going by Wikipedia (and we all know Wikipedia is gospel ;) ) the "L" spec cars were the most basic model in 1992. I'd say it only has the 1.8 2x single overhead cam engine, at just over 100 bhp. Prpbably best left in the Legacy for a cheap winter banger. Not worth the hassle of a conversion into a VW. For that little power I'd go for a VW diesel and get some fuel economy too...

Aidan

Club Member
Club Member
July 10, 2009
Kildare
I wouldn't feel guilty either Chris - nothing wrong with the idea at all and it could be made to sound great with uneven length headers. Diesel is a nice idea too as I'd imagine that the key to improving driveability in a bus is torque, not bhp

How much bhp is too much in a bus? I know that its up to driver self control ultimately but bays seem to have a tendency to tip over after a certain point so I'd imagine that there's no point in putting in a really serious engine unless you're going to the drag strip or live in a country with very straight and level roads