Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Wanted: Beetle seats

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
My seats look fine but the drivers seat is all lumpy and uncomfortable. I'd like a nice pair of front seats if anyone has a pair going. Even if they need retrimming I'd consider them. They don't need to be stock beetle seats. In fact I'd prefer something with a headrest. Anyone got anything going?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I have a pair of mk3 Polo seats you can have FOC. They'd need the rear legs narrowed but you have a welder now, right? Other than that they'll go straight in...

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
Trev, you're a legend. I do have a welder, yes, but I haven't learned to use it yet or gotten the mask. If I throw you a few quid would you fancy modifying them for me?

Out of curiousity, what colour are they by the way?

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
This is the best shot I can find of them at the moment:

2009-08-05Polo001Medium.jpg

they're buried in the back of the shed so would be a bit of a job to extract for photos.

as for modifying them, I'd love to say yeah I'll do it but to be honest I have that much on at the moment I'd never get around to it. It's not a big job, Gritz did it last year to a pair of seats AFAIK. Would be a good way to get used to your new welder. :)

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
They'll do nicely! Thanks! I know the pattern actually so I can picture what they'd look like. I might get them off you over the next couple of weeks if you're around? So is the front mounting for the seat the same as in a beetle? I might try and find someone who can reweld the legs rather than having to spend ages learning to weld well enough to do anything useful and go and buy all the kit I need.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
dude, it's not a big job, and a nice way of learning to weld, the metal is fairly thick and the results will be hidden from view. Just get in there!!

I'm sure I'll be here at some stage over the next two weeks ;)

the front rail will suit your 1303 front seat mounting point...

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
Nice one, thanks. I'll give you a shout over the next while. I'll have to borrow my dads jeep cause I have my doubts I'll be able to squeeze them into the back of the beetle!

natian08

Club Member
Club Member
April 4, 2009
Cork
airhead i live near trev but im from deansgrange.I might be up there next week and could probably squeeze the seats in my car if thats any good to ye.Pm me your number if you want to organise it.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
no sweat lads, let me know what ye arrange.

Incidentally though, you'd be surprised what you'd fit in the back of a beetle if you take out the base of the back seat and fold down the back bit.

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
airhead i live near trev but im from deansgrange.I might be up there next week and could probably squeeze the seats in my car if thats any good to ye.Pm me your number if you want to organise it.

Cheers for the offer! I actually have nowhere to store them in Dublin, which is part of the reason why I would have liked if they bolted straight into the car. God knows when I'll get around to fitting them. So, I'll have to bring them to Wexford to store them for a while, so it's best if I pick them up myself. Cheers anyway!

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
Jesus lads I dont know how I managed with my original seats! I got my new seats (Thanks a lot Trev) put in and it's really like driving a new car (with shit brakes, no power steering, a weedy little engine and loads of rattles). Still though, they're the business, and they actually do look very well in the car!

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
Make me an offer! Theyre in good nick aside from the plastic cover on the side of the drivers seat being cracked (bit of superglue would probably see it right). The springs in the drivers seat seem to be a bit messed up too so the back of the seat is a bit lumpy.

I'll stick up photos of the new seats once I clean them. Theyre a bit manky at the moment.

trev

*****istrator
Admin
November 11, 2007
Co. Laois
I'm sure Ross is well able to defend himself but the Polo seats did need modification which he would have had to pay for so they weren't 100% FOC. Besides, beetle seats are rarer and more sought after than mk3 Polo seats. I think he's justified in looking for a few quid for them...

I know it "feels" like scene tax but it's simple economics really, rarer commodities command a higher price so long as there's a demand for them...

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
I was just curious to see what the offer was, or if they're worth anything at all! I'll tell you what, Liam. Call Jon White and tell him I said you can take the seats away FOC. They're no use to me and they're only taking up space in his workshop.